HP339A need help, distortion section not functioning correctly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't get a chance to delve back into it today but hope to tomorrow. I quickly pulled the pcb assembly and checked C25, it is good. The parts have arrived so I will probably just change out both U3 and U5 and run over the same tests again.
Thank you!

IMG_3686.JPG

Hi Jan,

Working from schematic. I think arrows are probably working properly given inputs from phase control loop, but something's "broken" so plenty of uncertainty.

Hi Ausman,

I'm relatively confident of diagnosis re U3, but lots of uncertainty about U5. We can conduct more tests re U5 if you like. I'm loathe to have you replace it when I've made a lot of guessing about its health.

If you can get the amplitude loop working, it will be a good guide to signals expected in the phase loop. There's a remote chance all begin to work properly.

Just got done changing out U3 and the same exact problems persist. If I take the external signal source down to approximately 800 Hz the CW led extinguishes (which I would expect?) but if I bring the frequency way up past 1 khz both led's light up (I would expect the CCW led to extinguish at some point?).

Should I go ahead and just change out U5?

I went ahead and changed out U5 and something has definitely changed in operation. I will report back after I have run a few tests.

Are you kidding? I wouldn't mind if you only stopped by once a week! lol

Well....
I do believe we have a winner!
All Operational Verification Checks per the manual pass with flying colors and the led's are behaving.
Internal oscillator distortion is reading -98 dB (if I'm reading the scale correctly) at 1 kHz, 1 V RMS.

IMG_3687.JPG

Yea, those knobs are virtually unobtainable. I may have a better chance of finding some HP winged knobs and swapping the clear section onto them.

Quite the contrary, congratulations to you BSST!
My hat's off to you dear sir. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and devoting your time and patience to my issue. I couldn't have done it without you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.