• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

OK, I am a relative newcomer to smartphones (my first one was as recently as 1996), but for non-essential stuff such as hobby forums, I prefer to have a decent-sized display and a keyboard - and until the EU finally managed to bring data roaming prices down, I refused to support that form of highway robbery.

They're getting there. Intra-EU roaming charges have effectively been abolished, at least for calls and texts so far. The change was implemented or UK subscribers a couple of weeks ago.

Not meaning to tread on anyone's toes specifically, but I for one would like to know the truth.

We should all be friends here, trying to help each other :)

Indeed, and happy to do some measurements as soon as I have some spare time. It is just pretty hard to do anything like that when you are stuck in a conference centre meeting room all day (fortunately I do have my laptop, and semi-reasonable connectivity).

...I lost more selling my Devialet D400 than what I paid Colin for his amps. Amp for amp, I prefer the Nord amps by a wide margin.

I know you had the Job 225 power amp -I almost bought; I did not buy for my serious problems with RFI / EMI: bandwith Job is very high, like DIY First One too- and the Job 250 mono (I think).

How do you compare with the Hypex NC500 "Nord"?

Not meaning to tread on anyone's toes specifically, but I for one would like to know the truth.

We should all be friends here, trying to help each other :)

Yeah, we can all hold hands and love up. Cute.

It would be sooooo easy to grab the 'stock' Hypex board, the Rev B board and the Rev C board, short their inputs (with and without a 50 Ohm resistor), power them up and measure their output noise with a high performance measurement amplifier (such as Samuel Groner's design) and ARTA. Couple an oscilloscope to the output and bang through some square wave signal tests. Come on Colin, you are a 'manufacturer' now (well an amp assembler and an input board designer :) ) - test your product.

I know you had the Job 225 power amp -I almost bought; I did not buy for my serious problems with RFI / EMI: bandwith Job is very high, like DIY First One too- and the Job 250 mono (I think).

How do you compare with the Hypex NC500 "Nord"?

I did have the early Job 225 and considered the monos. I am very close to ordering the Job INTegrated. I loved/love and still miss the Job gear. It has been too long to give an honest answer on the comparison between the Nord/Job. I'll see if I can find a friend's notes on the two in my email. One comment is he preferred the Nord on one set of speakers he has and but not the other speakers. He said he'd be ordering a pair of Nords based on hearing my pair.

Thank you for the link. I am well aware that the Job amps are not happy driving tougher/lower impedance load speakers. I have a friend that swears by Job amps on horn type speakers and I am eagerly anticipating the combo on my new JBL 4367's. Could be fun.

I know the Nords drive the JBL's beautifully, just like my Strads. I don't crank my music and almost any amp is good for me. I just happen to love variety.

I've been looking at Frank's gear for a long time. He gets great reviews. Maybe I should play with one of those too.

:snail:

You know that Job 225 need speakers with minimum impedance > 3 Ohms. Frank Van Alstine (AVA) solves that problem with Exicon lateral mosfet using double die. Cheaper solution than two mono amps!

-> avahifi - Synergy and Insight power amplifier "Double Die" option.

Most wealthy people I know still negotiate for s good price. It's a very small market at the high end. Production volumes are small.

I'd rather stick with Theta's Casablanca IV and Dreadnaught D. Costs a bit more fully kitted but a much better solution.

PS: What price do you put on hand drilled and hand filed mounting holes? Art worth a premium or something you'd pay a premium to avoid?

One and the same thing. It's a very small market at the high end.

I'd rather stick with Theta's Casablanca IV and Dreadnaught D. Costs a bit more fully kitted but a much better solution.

PS: What price do you put on hand drilled and hand filed mounting holes? Art worth a premium or something you'd pay a premium to avoid?

Lots of people want a small form factor all in 1 unit these days. And how do you know it's a much better solution? Did you compare them head to head?

For $25k you are getting a streamer, DAC, preamp, amp, DSP engine, and all the cables to connect them together. Not too outrageous compared to if you bought all that separate.

Last edited:
Lots? It's not a mass market at that price point.

The Bel Canto doesn't come close to having the specs/functionality I want. 12 channels, Atmos, Dirac Live/Unison etc. I'll stick with something that's just as capable for 12 channels as 2.

But if it suits you, pick one up and let us know your thoughts.

Lots? It's not a mass market at that price point.

The Bel Canto doesn't come close to having the specs/functionality I want. 12 channels, Atmos, Dirac Live/Unison etc. I'll stick with something that's just as capable for 12 channels as 2.

But if it suits you, pick one up and let us know your thoughts.

It's not aimed at the multichannel market. That's just like saying a BMW M4 is no good because you want something to go off roading with.