I'm cursed...

Opened up my box of brand new Manger MSWs today to measure them on my WT3. Got once clean measurment and saved it to my PC. Then I repeated the impedance sweep and it looked funny.

Long story short, one of the VCs decided to open up and quit just from 2 lousy low level measurments. Its things like this which make me want to quit this audio crap. It's bad enough my health is garbage. Everything is seem to touch is turning sour.

Reactions: 1 user
This is an NOS pair from the late 90s. They were in climate controlled, dry indoor storage in a closet. Ome of my 109s also bit the dust the same way. They were never ever abused. The VCs are very very fragile on these stupid drivers. Manger wants several hundred to repair.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You sure this isn’t an issue with WT3? Mines over 10 years old and it’s quite finicky. Actually it’s Windows that finicky but it’s the system testbed.

A multimeter on the driver shows an open circuit ? Bummer.

I will commiserate with you; I spent weeks trying to troubleshoot why my DSP stopped working; only to realise that the brand new DACs that I installed wasn’t compatible with the DSP!!!

Put the old DACs back in and everything is back to normal.

Weird!? Frustrating!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
WT3 and Clio both measured this the same. One of the VC windings measures open. The driver got quieter when it happened, which is an obvious symptom. I certainly won't be fixing these. I had nothing but bad luck with boutique, handmade stuff like this. The fiasco I had with those T34Bs was bad enough. Now this...

It's bad enough my health is garbage. Everything is seem to touch is turning sour.
I resemble this remark, except it's dealing with repeated storm damage, so called well meaning neighbors and various contractors with 'boilerplate' high quality, Senior/elderly friendly ratings! :(

That said, I was under the impression that Manger were 'top drawer' folks.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like when our roof was leaking and dripping onto my Parasound JC5... the insurance company doesn't like me when they found out how much it was to replace. Then our main breaker panel lost a whole half circuit and took out all our kitchen appliances. It just doesn't stop.

I may have to re-approach the 12" coax project i put on hold. This was a dual 12" midbass with B&C 12MH32s, Eminence Kappalite 3012CX + Faital HF108.

I dont have much time left to do all the stuff I want to depending on how fast my health situation decides to deteriorate. I have alot of drivers sitting around waiting for a good purpose. We'll see...

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
yes. I guess you gotta take the fun with the frustration. I mean what else can one do?

Of course one could just plonk the cash down on something retail, and let someone else deal with the problems if/when they arise.

“Hey look I’m supporting the economy”.

That’s what governments and capitalists want you to do right? You’re just being a good citizen

Problem is I've never been satisfied with anything off the shelf. I'd have to spend 5 figures to get something I consider a full range solution with proper dynamic range capability. I've never owned speakers that could be powered properly with only one stereo amplifier, except for my older PMCs. I love the sound of a well designed TL enclosure.

Reactions: 4 users
Crazy coincidence, but just today, Joppe from the planar/exoctics forum mainly, posted a youtube video of himself opening up a dead Manger driver.

I've taken a Manger MSW apart before. Its not easy to avoid destroying the VC and the lead wires can't be repaired from the top.

The guy in the video isn't experienced with these drivers. It only can be rebuilt by Manger and they charge around $700 for rebuilding the pair.

Reactions: 1 users
But they claim it is a perfect product and of course HOLY GERMAN ENGINEERING never fails :)

Broken coils seem to be part of their biz model ... over the years I've heard often of dead Manger drivers! About 15 years ago (maybe 10 years) the company decide to sell their stuff no longer to individuals which is a shame in itself!

Maybe german products are overrated now compared to the old days :

https://www-fidelity--online-de.tra..._sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Manger systems are breaking down a lot, that is true. But that has nothing to say about german engineering, it's just a not well designed (from durability view) product. Other German audio brands do a lot better on that. Manger are hard to sell on the second hand market for that reputation, as nobody wants old Manger stuff that probally will break down soon.

Maybe German products are overrated now compared to the old days :

Perhaps they are, one thing is beyond any doubt now. Everybody seems to be working on how to complicate a new product in such a way the user will not be able to repair it himself when the time is due. Bring on the chips with preprogrammed failures. Yeah, and the 3 cylinder turbo crap motors. :giggle: