introductions - new members? (just curiosity)

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
hello all,
anyone else noticed this sudden increase of introductions?
(for simplicity I used the last reply date for the threads).

240628_intro.png

just to be clear - I am totally happy about this fact and warmly welcome all new members!
DIY audio is a great way to learn self-efficacy and science.

but it stil puzzles me - is this increase in introductions correlated to new members?
or is there a new welcoming message, suggesting to introduce oneself?

stv

EDIT: corrected the days per week count - thanks to @Ultima Thule

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Have noticed that too for the past month the introduction of new members have skyrocketed and gotten me wondering what's that all about.

There is no updates or amendments to the Terms of Rules requiring a new member introducing themselves.

@stv how did you get the statistics table?
Just one thing, how come there are data for up until week 30 which is a few weeks into the future?

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@stv how did you get the statistics table?
Just went through the "introduction" threads, counted the last responses per day for the year 2024 and made an excel sheet + graph.
Just one thing, how come there are data for up until week 30 which is a few weeks into the future?
Oh, wait .... there must have been something wrong then! I might have made 6-day weeks ... :oops:

just corrected the graph - thank you for noticing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hello all,
anyone else noticed this sudden increase of introductions?
(for simplicity I used the last reply date for the threads).

View attachment 1327593

just to be clear - I am totally happy about this fact and warmly welcome all new members!
DIY audio is a great way to learn self-efficacy and science.

but it stil puzzles me - is this increase in introductions correlated to new members?
or is there a new welcoming message, suggesting to introduce oneself?

stv

EDIT: corrected the days per week count - thanks to @Ultima Thule
I am a new member and at this moment in time I am in my Local enjoying a pint of Guinness

Reactions: 1 users
Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We have been making various changes behind the scenes to improve our defenses against spammers and scammers and old account takeovers. These changes haven’t been officially announced because sometimes they change day by day as we experiment with new tools and settings and assess the results.

A lot of the changes are subjective trials for new members.

Currently all new registrations must introduce themselves and have that post pass moderation before being able to post elsewhere or send PMs.

Please do welcome these new members - they are not bots in fact each one is proving to the forum they are not a bot. If you have suspicions about them being a bot, such as their ability to only answer in general terms, then feel free to engage with them and see what their audio passions really are. The mods are doing a huge amount of work behind the scenes to vet new members before they’ve even gotten to the point of being able to post, but this is an additional layer of security for the site and members, plus it’s a great way to convert lurkers to active members when they see how friendly and welcoming we are as a community.

I count 8 out of 50 front page threads right now as introductions. You can use the filter tool to remove that forum from your feed if you don’t want to see them but I note your feedback. About wanting better preference control of what appears in your feed.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Jason,
Thank you for clarification.
And thanks to mod team for their work to keep the place what it is.

I like the introduction and opportunity to welcome new members.

I remember when i did it and got answer from a moderator engaging discussion some years ago.

At that time my english was even worst than it is now ( lol) and it was intimidating to post given the overall level of expertise of members, i must say the moderator message helped to pass above fear of being seen as stupid and shyness.

I find nice to see the community keep on growing. Post Covid it seemed there was less activity and some historic members leaving. It's nice to see it's past and new blood is coming.

Reactions: 1 users
At that time my english was even worst than it is now ( lol) and it was intimidating to post given the overall level of expertise of members,
Don't be hard on yourself for those two things.

For the first one, there are plenty of tools available to help you out, like Google Translate and ChatGPT.
But mostly, don't be afraid of making mistakes.
As long as you can get your point across!

For the second one, experienced and skilled members are here to help. If they're not, they might just be having a grumpy day, and it has nothing to do with you personally!

Reactions: 2 users