Investigating port resonance absorbers and port geometries

Re required port surface area for a given speaker: ports at large signals can and will suffer from harmonic distortion, noise, and compression. You'd have to define what goals you want to reach for each problem area - how low do you want distortion to be at full signal, how low noise, how low compression? Because they'll never be 0.

From the conclusion of "Maximizing performance from loudspeaker ports", Salvatti, Button - imo they say it best:

Vast historical data and results herein suggest that the largest port area allowable by your design should be employed to keep air velocity down if low port compression and low distortion are desired.

There's also all kinds of m/s values floating around. In the aforementioned paper, <10 m/s is thrown into the ring. Small afair stated an acceptable value of 15-20 m/s. My personal experience falls somewhere in the middle of that. But to each their own.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
There's also all kinds of m/s values floating around.
The interesting discovery in the respective papers and in the experiments shown in this thread (at least for me) was that airspeed is not that relevant by itself. It's the air displacement at the port terminations that matters.
Airspeed in the central section of the port can be huge and still pose no problem.

Reactions: 1 users
The interesting discovery in the respective papers and in the experiments shown in this thread (at least for me) was that airspeed is not that relevant by itself. It's the air displacement at the port terminations that matters.
Airspeed in the central section of the port can be huge and still pose no problem.
Yes. I actually think I will agree with this.
It's in fact almost worth putting it a bit more officially out there. 👍🏻

On the other hand, lower air velocity is always better in all cases.

But yes I am mostly curious to see how this will change certain things on a more practical level.
Because it could mean a smaller diameter and port length would be sufficient.

Meaning we're pushing that port resonance further up!

Reactions: 1 user

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
On the other hand, lower air velocity is always better in all cases.
Definitely! Make the port (terminations) as big as possible.
Meaning we're pushing that port resonance further up!
That's the main benefit and one of the goals developed in this thread.
In fact the initial idea (and thread title) of resonance absorbers turned out to be less important once the port geometry was optimized!
Another benefit of a narrow center section is to attenuate enclosure resonances as much as possible.

It's in fact almost worth putting it a bit more officially out there.
:giggle:
Thanks, I appreciate your encouragement!

I still would like to confirm the results with a higher spl 12" driver ...

Last edited:

Correct, the pioneers recommended Av = Sd for a baffle thickness vent, so when larger was needed a simple slant panel parabolic horn was added where St = Sd, so similar using round, square, rectangular tubes + the needed flare works great as Danley did in at least one of his consumer? designs.

Muffler adapter design I used as a guide: pg. 838, Fig.10 (Note the 'powerhouse' authors)

In terms of the UI would it be possible to include a note to guide the user that the strouhal number should ideally be used to define the port exits size and not the port central / minimum size?

It will be clear from the chart heading that the Strouhal number applies to the port outlet.

(Hornresp assumes that the port tube is a cylindrical pipe).

Any recommended air velocity numbers cited anywhere would be for non-tapered ports, in which the air velocity would be relatively constant. I suppose you could calculate / simulate max. air speeds in flared ports with AKABAK, COMSOL or the like, but who, especially in the non-commercial space, has ever done that?

I must say though I was surprised how small the bottleneck of a flared port can be to still work well. Both via third party discoveries, like the aforementioned AES paper, as well as in my own tests. For example, as some here might know, I did the most extensive public review of the L'Acoustics KS28, including extracting the chassis and testing / comparing it in an enclosure with a 1/2 sd sized normal straight port with the same tuning. The L'Acoustics "L-Vent" is only 1/4 sd large at its bottleneck, meaning half the area, and yet performed similarly. It still had portnoise however :) - not less than the straight port.

Props for the thread. I only recently stumbled across it, on a research on port absorbers, within the development of a fullrange BR box with large port, and it helped me quite a bit.

Particle displacement = V / (2 * pi * f)

It should probably be noted that this equation is appropriate for small velocities (= absence of turbulence), when we can assume that the system is linear, so we can describe the oscillations by a harmonic law. In the presence of turbulence, this ratio will give some error.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It should probably be noted that this equation is appropriate for small velocities (= absence of turbulence), when we can assume that the system is linear, so we can describe the oscillations by a harmonic law. In the presence of turbulence, this ratio will give some error.
All of these kinds of equations are only ever valid in linear systems and conditions.

So to me it sounds a bit obvious.

But yes it's a valid point nevertheless. 🙂