John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
my most memorable "performance car" experience was the walk back to the dorm from the Boston end of the Longfellow bridge as a passenger in a Corvair that the driver boasted could hit 60 mph at the bridge crown as he punched it on the curving access ramp...

...this was after nearly a year with the engine on a spare desk in his office at the AI lab

Last edited:
I had to Google.....my GF is the best chef ever, all organic ingredients and love.

That's a perpetual bias that will always cloud objectivity. ;)
True.
Part of the equation is that I trust her food and cooking.

I am slowly detoxing and recovering from too much workplace pesticides exposure, so a clean chemical free diet is of critical importance to me at present, and probably for ever more.
I have spent three months crook and off work, all the while researching the physiological/neurological effects of typical insecticides, fungicides and herbicides as used in food production and residual in our foods.
The short and long term effects of these agro chemicals are frightening as I know from personal experience, and the chemicals approvals process is at best short sighted, and at worst fraudulent, and it could be argued that the long term effects on the general population are known or even planned.
I am in personal contact with drivers of NFC technology which will be the way of the near future and onwards - Microchip label and smart phone app protects products against counterfeit scams.
This will give us provenance of our foods 'from paddock to plate', just watch how fast doubtful foods will be deleted from supermarket shelves due to informed consumer boycot.

Dan.

my most memorable "performance car" experience was the walk back to the dorm from the Boston end of the Longfellow bridge as a passenger in a Corvair that the driver boasted could hit 60 mph at the bridge crown as he punched it on the curving access ramp...

...this was after nearly a year with the engine on a spare desk in his office at the AI lab

We went to Chinatown every weekend in an old Rambler that we called the Dead Camel.

Anyone else here used turbo maps and area/radius of impeller wheel to size/select a turbocharger for a given engine displacement? And, then program the A/F curves for a two stage pump (engine + turbo)?

And computed/measured the required water/alcohol flow rate to be injected into the engine to keep head temps at optimum. Used exhaust gas thermocouples to measure exhaust temp at head port to aid in optimizing A/F ratio's?

Everything becomes non-linear and isn't simple to get it all correct for wide rpm range and loading. How much initial timing and how much to retard and when.. ignition. Static CR for high boost (>25psi manifold pressure) needed.

When to add in a seamless way, 150hp nitrous oxide into the engine for zero turbo lag. Ignition changes under nitrous? Radiator upgrade and clutch upgrades, stronger diff etc Staged enrichment injectors. Upgrade brakes and tires. Obtaining 500+ HP from 2.5 ltr engine that is street driven. Every bit as challenging as a phono preamp.

-RM

There's a Star Trek episode where the kids say blah blah blah.

Attachments

• meaning_of_life.png
    meaning_of_life.png
    412 KB · Views: 166
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
So you want a rat (in the old 70's sense).

Mine was normally aspirated in a '67 Cutlass. Turned mid 12's on street gas and street tires with everything still in the car. Doesn't sound like much, but back then, seeing the biggest Cutlass ever made go that fast was something. Trailing arms and coils in the rear, Monroe 500's all the way around and variable rate springs.

If it wasn't for the power plant, it was a very nice car to drive around. I had another one stock in the same colours. Shared a set of plates and confused the hell out of the neighbors. :devilr: It chirped the wheels going into drive from park with the brakes full on. It was an animal.

I'd love to make that car again and still have a daily driver.

-Chris

I watched the Chef's Table episode featuring Grant Achatz; poor guy suffered from some very serious health issues. Other people highlighted on the series seemed to be blessed with greater health but lesser talent.

Goes with the territory Chicago has lost great chefs to cancer and suicide in the last few years. It's rare that someone gives me a dish that I just can't figure out but Grant did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.