Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

I dont know whats going on. For nearly a week I have got no updates in my inbox for this thread. Today I get an update. Weird. Would have had no problem sending you a pot Bob. Wish I had seen your posts.

In regards to the PCB circuit.
Dont you, meaning everyone, think that is a direct copy of George's circuit? I have every certainty that this has not been cleared with George. Nothing has been added to the circuit and frankly there are parts that degrade signal quality. Mainly terminal blocks.
In my opinion this layout could have been shared but to make a group buy I dont think is a very kind thing to do, which I have previously stated to Mr. Oliver when he emailed the thing to me asking if the DIY community might like to 'see' the layout. I helped him with a mistake on the layout and suggested that yes everyone might like to 'see' it. I knew I smelt something funny.
I could see if some sort of improvement had been made to the circuit but its a direct copy. Should work great, unfortunately.
If George cleared this then I will forward my apologies. But from emails I have received I just dont think thats the case.
Uriah

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I dont know whats going on. For nearly a week I have got no updates in my inbox for this thread. Today I get an update. Weird. Would have had no problem sending you a pot Bob. Wish I had seen your posts.

In regards to the PCB circuit.
Dont you, meaning everyone, think that is a direct copy of George's circuit? I have every certainty that this has not been cleared with George. Nothing has been added to the circuit and frankly there are parts that degrade signal quality. Mainly terminal blocks.
In my opinion this layout could have been shared but to make a group buy I dont think is a very kind thing to do, which I have previously stated to Mr. Oliver when he emailed the thing to me asking if the DIY community might like to 'see' the layout. I helped him with a mistake on the layout and suggested that yes everyone might like to 'see' it. I knew I smelt something funny.
I could see if some sort of improvement had been made to the circuit but its a direct copy. Should work great, unfortunately.
If George cleared this then I will forward my apologies. But from emails I have received I just dont think thats the case.
Uriah

Hello Uriah,

sure it is a direct copy of George´s layout! I have made the Group Buy only for those, who would like to have a nice PCB. I don´t think about any problem because the layout is public, also on your publication.
As you can see on the line-drawings from the PCB, i print on the toplayer that George made the attenuator. If i had made something wrong, i will apologies.

So my proposal, i will pending the Group Buy till i have a official answer from George to my PCB. I hope that´s ok for everyone. :eek:

Best regards,
Oliver

Yes, it would be good manners to ask George, even if the circuit is available anyway.

The other thing is that you should probably change your silkscreen to something like "lightspeed MKII circuit by george, layout by DVB projekt". That way no is confused about who did what. The group buy boards over in the pass forum are usually done like that.

It would be nice to get Georges approval - and good manners - but in reality there is feck all he can do about it....

Fran

As for being a fresh new member and the making of a quick buck from others intellectual property.
I know how much the boards cost to be made, and the only labour cost was the initial artwork and posting.
After discussions with certain people here on DIYAUDIO, I suggest.

1: That as Uriah does ($3usd donation per set).
That $5usd be donated by Oliver to DIYAUDIO for each board sold, as the labour for each set of Uriah's matched LDR's is more than for Oliver's initial artwork, Oliver's board sells for half the price so it pans out in the wash and keeps the playing field equal.

2: This $3usd and $5usd donation should be a permanent signature at the bottom of your posts as Uriah used to have and should put back on, so all can see that you are not the only one making a couple of bucks from others intellectual property, and this would help that DIYAUDIO remains healthy and the best audio diy forum on the internet also.

3: I hope NEVER to see anyone making a complete kit of the Lightspeed Attenuator as this would really ---- me off, and you don't want to ---- off a 6'2'' 120kg beer swilling Aussie! they have been known to transport through computer screens!

I hope all can live with these suggestions, if not post up your suggestions.

Cheers George

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello George,

for me your suggestions are absolute fair! :worship:
As i said in the PM, my thoughts were only to make a nice PCB for the community, nothing else!

So i need only a little help with the donation-amount in my signature.
Is there a possibility to update this automaticly?

Regards,
Oliver

Hello George,

for me your suggestions are absolute fair! :worship:
As i said in the PM, my thoughts were only to make a nice PCB for the community, nothing else!

So i need only a little help with the donation-amount in my signature.
Is there a possibility to update this automaticly?

Regards,
Oliver
You will have to do this manually, go to USER CP then to EDIT SIGNATURE in this type:
A donation of $5usd to Diyaudio.com will be done for every Lightspeed Attenuator pcb sold.

Cheers George

When the news spreads, complete $10 kits will soon pop up at Fleabay from Chinese sellers. :mad:

Hasn't happened yet and it's been 3.5 years since I released the details. My saving grace has been the time and effort and "love" it takes to match the 4 x NSL-32SR2S, If Silonex ever get their act together and make them matched to much tighter tolerances, then you will find the little buggers start to appear.
Sad day for me when this happens, as they can do CNC instrument cases etched logos with gold screws and remote control, for the same price it costs me to make my industrial looking Lightspeed Attenuator.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Lightspeed Front xx.jpg
    Lightspeed Front xx.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
I'm just wondering if we can use LDRs to convert speaker output (4/8 ohms from a tube power amp) to headphone impedance?:scratch: :up:

so any improvement in term of sound?
surely this last question is impossible to answer without actually buying the components and building the modified circuit to test the LED/LDR version against a switched attenuator

I have a question.

I recently heard a lightspeed pre and found it truly transparent (kudos).

What do you guys think to use the optocouplers as a relay replacement in a speaker protection circuit in a power amplifier? How would that look like?
Too much trouble or worth it?

They would be powered by a separate rail.

Hi,

Found a nice DC regulators from Texas Instruments that can be used to provide the clean 5V DC supply from a 15V DC supply. The device code is: DCR010505. I am planning to use this regulator in the following configuration:

1. Get a bare 24V DC supply from the main using step down transformer and bridge rectifiers.
2. Use the ON semiconductors MC7800 and MC7900 regulators o step it down to 15V DC.
3. Use the Texas Instruments DCR010505 to get the required 5V DC supply.

Best regards,
Bins.