Listening test on math added harmonic distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well done you two... so no hope for me then. 'wanna buy a Micromega or Sony, one careful owner :D

Pavel. Which is which then ? I liked track 3 the best as you know, although I felt it the most distorted. What was track 3 ?

Hi Mooly, I had a thought.. I assume you have been listening to your Sony for a long time? I have a suspicion that it's distortion may be a bit higher than your Micromega (to the point that it is detectable) and this (if you have been listening to it for many years) may be what your brain now considers to be "normal" This may be why you chose track 1 as the cleanest (because it was closest to what you normally hear through your system). Just a thought! :)

I say this because on your last listening test it was within three seconds of the Sony splicing in that I decided that there was distortion added similar to what I picked up in the vocals on Pavels test. It would be interesting to see an FFT of 1Khz tone (at 0db) played on the Sony and the same on the micromega. I'm guessing you will see prominent 3rd harmonic on the Sony but much lower on the micromega.

Maybe also a multi-tone (at 0db) on both as well... say 200Hz 1Khz and 7 Khz...

Tony.

You mean they have different severity...
"Severity" is a word that is very apt, it may be difficult to measure objectively, but subjectively it's very disturbing, at least for me - so yes, it's subjectively severe ...

Live sound, and good reproduction, has a 'creamy ease' about it, one feels that one can up the volume without limit, that's how I would describe it. Something like the texture of massed orchestral strings, that will wash over you in a crescendo effortlessly - the sort of distortion I'm talking about completely undermines that subjective sensation, it becomes an endurance test to keep listening ...

Maybe also a multi-tone (at 0db)

Pay attention to component amplitudes to avoid clipping. For twintone like 19+20kHz amplitudes of 19kHz and 20kHz at -6dB give composite signal amplitude of 0dBFS. For multitone created by many individual tones, you get individual amplitudes somewhere at -20dB to -30dB to prevent clipping of the composite wave. Software like ARTA can generate the proper signal component amplitudes automatically.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Mooly, I had a thought.. I assume you have been listening to your Sony for a long time? I have a suspicion that it's distortion may be a bit higher than your Micromega (to the point that it is detectable) and this (if you have been listening to it for many years) may be what your brain now considers to be "normal" This may be why you chose track 1 as the cleanest (because it was closest to what you normally hear through your system). Just a thought! :)

I say this because on your last listening test it was within three seconds of the Sony splicing in that I decided that there was distortion added similar to what I picked up in the vocals on Pavels test. It would be interesting to see an FFT of 1Khz tone (at 0db) played on the Sony and the same on the micromega. I'm guessing you will see prominent 3rd harmonic on the Sony but much lower on the micromega.

Maybe also a multi-tone (at 0db) on both as well... say 200Hz 1Khz and 7 Khz...

Tony.

Hi Tony, hmmm :) its the Micromega that I've spent most time with tbh. From around 1994 to only 2.5 years ago it was the only player I used in my main system. The MM then got replaced with the Marantz Pearl-Lite SACD. I still have a soft spot for the MM, its a wonderful player sonically.

The Sony.... the one I rescued from the junk shop 12 months ago hasn't actually been listened to on my main set up. Its a great player to have as a test source on the bench though.

Maybe I am used to listening to the "distortion" produced from the lateral FET amp I use... its an interesting theory. Comparing the Sony to the MM as I did in the test, I would perhaps describe one effect as "narrowing" of the sound stage.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I am sure none of your players would generate 3rd harmonic of 1% (-40dB) at 0dBFS. Anyway, it is good to check real distortion. You may generate dithered 1kHz by Audacity and burn it to the CD disc.

Thanks. I suspect my (PC) hardware isn't up to the job of showing small levels of distortion. Might be interesting to look at the portable though and see if anything shows.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes sorry I didn't mean to imply that the sony might be putting out 1% 3rd harmonic! I think it would be rather faulty if it was. Was just a crazy thought that came into my head this morning.

I thought maybe you had had it since new Mooly and had become accustomed to it's sound :) I tend to keep my stuff a long time ;) I built my everyday amp in 1987!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.