Listening test suggestions: sequence and other

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Say I want to do a comparative test of 2-3 pieces of gear, all other parts of the system being the same. In my case right now different OPT's for my new 300B amp. But the same case can be made for any other parts that take like 10-15 minutes to swap around

Should I start with presumably worse components and move on to better ones? The other way around? Use help to do a blind test?

Sound levels will be only roughly matched, this is definitely not a science experiment

That's a difficult one.

My instinct would be to try to measure any differences. Measurement mics don't get bored or lose their auditory memory (which is a fickle thing to start with - was that backing vocal missing on the previous setup, or have I only just noticed it while it was there the whole time?)

If the measured differences are minimal, then I'd expect only very careful listening to show any preferences.

Given the long change-around time, it becomes difficult to compare.

Perhaps it would be best to install a set of transformers, play music for a few days so you've got used to the sound, and then see if you notice any changes when switching the next morning.

Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, that's a tough one. Especially if you don't know which should be better.
Thru long experience I have found that I don't notice improvements as much as detriments. So I'd go from better to worse. Still, I find subtle short term comparisons difficult.

First of all thanks for the replies

What I did in the end was
1. Took measurements of frequency response (manual sweep looking at the scope)
2. One week transformers A
3. One week transformers B

I can tell the difference, but I am a bit puzzled how to put it in simple terms. For my own use it's all helpful though

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.