Looking for recommendations on shielded signal cable ...

Wise people of the forum, greeting from the bottom of the planet.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best shielded signal cable to use in a tube preamp and tube amp that I'm building, together with a supplier I can source from. Cable for anywhere in the US or Europe is OK. Here, in NZ, there isn't a lot to choose from, and what there is to choose from is little better than a wet piece of string.
Ideally, the cable that is sonically and electrically ahead of the pack is what I'm looking for and also something easy to work with and that holds its shape once put into position.

Looking forward to hearing from those more experienced than myself.

Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Mogami, Belden, Canare, Gotham,... mic cable.
There is nothing like 'sonically or technically ahead', just cable with inductive/capacitive/resistive data given and you could verify ( given brans will give you this info).

If you look for stiffer of the lot look for 'starquad' ( Canare is the stiffest).

Being pro product they are easy to work with. I prefer Mogami for multipairs as they are clearly labeled but for mic cable all are more than ok regarding handling.

If concerned about 'quality' keep in mind this is what is used to wire studio control rooms ( patchbay and lines) and the analog desk in them ( Ams/Neve, SSL, Amek, Focusrite,...).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
For a cable inside a chassis I‘d recommend something with a not too big diameter, as it can be quite hassle to route a thick wire around all those parts.

I was very happy with Mogami but don’t recall which one exactly. You would maybe want to use the shield as such and not route a signal gnd through it, so a shielded 2-core cable…
If space (and budget) isn’t an issue, go for mogami neglex (or 2784) or gotham gac-1 or gac-2 (these are big though)

Reactions: 1 user