LuFo Amp - 39w SE Class A from 28v Rail

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I tried the standard calibration and it failed no matter what. Kept giving a reading of around 33k instead of the expected 1k for the ‘ internal resistor.’ So I clipped a 1% 1k resistor (that measured 1k on my DMM) to the DATS leads and that worked for calibration. Honestly, it was angering that the product wasn’t working out of the box and support is all but absent. Hoping I didn’t waste my money. I will call PE tomorrow.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
That was with previous DATS versions. Apparently, the V3 module has the precision resistor installed internally. So calibration is supposed to work out of the box. I read that I probably need to plug the unit in directly to the PC (not a USB hub), so I’ll try that tomorrow morning.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I got the standard calibration to work. But I still got similar results for my two MOTs. So I imagine my DATS is working fine.
Is there such a thing as an inexpensive LCR meter worth getting? I’ll also study up on the more involved inductor testing, with load, etc…

Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• 00BF1756-95B8-4DB8-88EF-BC97EE244CD3.jpeg
    00BF1756-95B8-4DB8-88EF-BC97EE244CD3.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Another hurdle cleared: RPS-200-27 powers up fine with diyAudio Store power supply V3 filter board populated with 4x10mF caps. No CL60 needed. 🤘😎🤘
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...3-illustrated-build-guide.244788/post-7082246
That's cool (y)
Just for my understanding - it's 5:45 in the morning and I'm already sitting in a train so my brain is sleeping -, you will use this power supply with the filter board instead of any other, one per channel? I'm asking so dumb because I have problems to get some important parts for the recommended power supply, so this could be THE solution for me too. And no transformers, just this switching thingie.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Switching supplies are fine for Class A amps. The trick is to get it to work without going into self protection / hiccup mode due to the high current draw. One can use SSR with an NTC as a soft start circuit if that’s the case. Some SMPS use a topology that does not have issues with high startup current draw. A good SMPS can be a very quiet PSU for Class A. Which one do you have?