Making an acrylic turntable cover

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
criminals in thrillers use a rag soaked with chloroform to quickly make their victims asleep. It must be available off the counter.
That's fiction; "...it is nearly impossible to incapacitate someone using chloroform in this manner. It takes at least five minutes of inhaling an item soaked in chloroform to render a person unconscious. ...After a person has lost consciousness due to chloroform inhalation, a continuous volume must be administered and the chin must be supported to keep the tongue from obstructing the airway, a difficult procedure ...

And that's why I can't buy chloroform. Society thinks I am going to have my way with women. Like I want to ravage a victim with nausea, vomiting, hyperthermia, jaundice, coma, and liver necrosis. You don't go out with one huff, and several huffs may be fatal.

The surgeon told me to keep counting as I inhaled chloroform for my tonsil surgery, so he would know I had passed out.
I got to the 70s, and he took less than 15 minutes after that.
And he was in my mouth area, so tongue obstruction would be apparent.
Now, injections are used, and some have abusive uses as well.

The puff and victim falls unconscious in a single inhalation is a cinematic / fictional theme.

Many Telugu films have that, mostly the girl gets kidnapped from forcible marriage, a running joke of sorts in different films.
Some have the 'victim' passing out after inhaling from stuff sprayed from a pressurized can, but nothing happens to the person who did the spraying, and who is breathing in close proximity to the person falling unconscious.

It smells unpleasant if tasted, the smell is typical.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
There was a sodium factory here, the workers used to throw marble sized bits into a pond, they would explode.
Rejects from medical grade sodium metal production...

And a microbiologist here smells the culture samples of sick patients, he can tell the species by the smell. I think that is dangerous, he does it all the time, no issues at all. PhD., after medical school, so he is well qualified.

So I still think you are being a bit OCD about 2 cc of CHCl3...
I'm cautious rather than OCD. IMO.

By nature I think. There are many unknown unknowns with environmental contamination and while I regard the precautionary principle with deep suspicion and as a thing fit only for activists, I think there's a lot to be said for being cautious.

There was a sodium factory here, the workers used to throw marble sized bits into a pond, they would explode.

Ahhhh. The good old days. In the same lab as above someone else dropped a smallish piece of sodium from a spatula into a crushed ice bath trying to get it into a flask. It sat there for a few seconds thinking about life, started to fizzle for a few seconds more, then there was a wet bang, a large stain on the ceiling and bits of crushed ice everywhere.

Please...I edited my post so as to be less offensive.

As for workers and their pranks.....we have a system of canteens in large factories, the workers still pay what were nominal amounts 50 years previous.
So, sweet eating competitions, food made for festivals, and so on are the subject of stories.
Oddly enough, we respect food, food fights are distasteful in our culture.

I built fish tanks and wet/dry filters for "reef" tanks many years ago. The acrylic suppliers all carried the proper solvent for the different types of plastics. Some of these tanks contained over 2,400 pounds of water without leaking. I began a total novice as well. I'd recommend purchasing the material from a reputable supplier and the solvent there as well.
Two tricks I learned was to scrape the edge flat and square rather than sand the edges and to assemble the joints dry and use a glass syringe and small needle to apply a bead of solvent to the joint and let capillary action do the rest. Worked every time!

Reactions: 1 users