Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Best thing is to start with R1 around 120R, and tweak the voltage by using other LED's. A green one will give you about 2V, a red one 1.6V and a yellow one 2.2V. R1 will contribute about 1.25V to the output voltage, so with the LED's you should make 3.75V for everything to add up. Maybe a red and a yellow one does the trick? If you'd like to tweak the voltage in the end, you can adjust R1 a bit, higher values give you less voltage and vice versa. But don't make it too large, R1 also provides the minimum load current for the regulator, which can be upto 10mA for some types.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I bought some red, yellow and orange leds today so I can find the right combination tonight. I'll stick with R1 at 120R.

Cheers,

Joe

Dear guys,

I have left my CD63 aside for few months and recently when I use it again, there is some sort of distortion/ cracking sound when I play CD. At first I thought it was the speaker problem as it is more obvious in the right channel but then I found out the left channel has this problem too but not so obvious. The CD63 can read the CD properly so I guess the problem could be somewhere else. Prior to this, I have only change the caps in the PSU section as recommended in this thread. I have also check the 18V,12V and 5V. All seems ok. Anyone have any idea or come across such a problem?

Could be the muting transistors. Try bypassing/removing them and see if the problem stops. I've had this problem on a couple of players before.

If your players' output section hasn't been modded, solder a wire from the + terminal of C656 and connect directly to the rca socket. This also bypasses the output caps, and will give better sound too!

Lee.

Thomo said:
Could be the muting transistors. Try bypassing/removing them and see if the problem stops. I've had this problem on a couple of players before.

If your players' output section hasn't been modded, solder a wire from the + terminal of C656 and connect directly to the rca socket. This also bypasses the output caps, and will give better sound too!

Lee.

Thanks Thomo. I haven't got the schematic but since you have mentioned C656, I will give it a try. By the way, can I confirm if there is only 1 muting transistor or is there a pair?? Before I mod the PSU caps, I have sent to shop to mod the opamps and output caps (now BGs). I will try bypass the BG as well. Thanks.

Hello,
A couple nights ago I heard 3-4 click, tick, pop type sounds from the player at power up. I've always kept the player in standby mode, powering up only when I'm going to play music. I know there is some toroid thump at power up, as I sometimes mess up and turn on the amp first. But the thump doesn't bother me. But I'd never heard clicks before.
And when I went to play a disc, there was no sound. And I was worried. Turn off, let things settle out, take off lid, and see what I can see. I expected a blown cap, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. A quick check showed power readings all proper. So I reconnected it to the system and tried again, and all was good. Since then I've left the player on.
I know a lot of people believe in leaving digital players on 24/7/365. I've never seen the need for this. But I may now.

Steve

Thomo said:

Lee.

Dear Thomo,

I have found the schematic and understand what you mean. I will try bypass the signal from going into the muting transistor at + of C655 and C656 as both channel sound are distorted. If there is still no improvement, would you recommend to bypass the HDAM to test as well? This problem is so strange as it affects both channel which makes me think it comes from the power supply??

Thomo said:
You could try it, bypassing the hdam may improve the sound for you anyway, as you have upgraded opamps don't you?

I had this problem once on my cd67 and it turned out to be a faulty dac. I sincerely hope that isn't the case with you!

Regards, Lee.

The opamps has been upgraded to AD8065. The last time you had problem with the DAC, did you change back to the original DAC or upgrade?

fossil2k said:

I understand what you mean. Maybe my reply got you confused. What I mean is that during the time when your DAC is faulty, do you change the original part no. or upgrade to a better DAC? Sorry for the confusion.

Is there actually a better pin-compatible DAC? This DAC can be taken to the stratosphere if you spend enough time and money ;)

Simon