Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:
VERY expensive !!!

Interesting mods - fully independant display supply, output transformers (something I have at home to try ) and diodes(silicon carbide) I have not heard of ( Brent have you tried????)

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/CSD02060.pdf

Certainly, a lot of brown nosers on that site !!

Andy

LMAO

Not tried those diodes no, may have to give them a whirl. Uber prices though I must be under charging lol

Brent

Can you guess why I'm smiling????

:D ;) :) :cool: :devilr: :clown: :angel:

Attachments

• img_5181.jpg
    img_5181.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 261
UV101 caps seems nice. I am just waiting for mine to arrive from UK...

One question came in my mind concerning RCA connectors on CD67 back panel. Original seems quite cheap and not so heavy made. Are there available any direct replacement model to fit in original place without modifying the rear panel of player? (you might have talked about this issue but here is 467 pages of this story....)

Br, Mikko

NOT just caps, whole DOS with SRegs!!!!!!

Phono's also updated today with the decent silver over copper CMC units from Lee (direct fit, no drilling).

BIG BIG TY to Lee and Brent (not forgetting Ray of course)! :D

poynton said:
VERY expensive !!!

Interesting mods - ................output transformers (something I have at home to try...................
Andy

What transformers Andy? I've been pondering since just before xmas. I would definately be interested in you opinion. I've looked elsewhere for audio consulting units but I think Audiocom have the UK market!

Ian

Hi Brent, the muting circuit is not finished at the mo. Its just holding the earth off the output driven by the original +12v reg. It's doing enough to stop the thumps!

The sound is really smooth, definately rounder. There seems to be tighter low freq response and the guitars on some of the accoustic stuff I listen to is just amaizingly defined and full. It sounds like there is a little more bass (not a bad thing for me at all) is that due to the op cap value or just a characteristic of the DOS?

I'm well impressed, its been on all afternoon (although i'm now sulking again cos the misses wanted the TV on!!! :bawling: ). Still playing along to itself quite happily burning in!

I expect it to get better as it settles. I also need to tidy it up a bit, I was in such a rush to get it all in, its abit messy!! lol

:D :D

Have I contributed enough to start quoting überness???? :cool: LOL

Mikko H. said:
UV101 caps seems nice. I am just waiting for mine to arrive from UK...

One question came in my mind concerning RCA connectors on CD67 back panel. Original seems quite cheap and not so heavy made. Are there available any direct replacement model to fit in original place without modifying the rear panel of player? (you might have talked about this issue but here is 467 pages of this story....)

Br, Mikko

Hi Mikko,

This has been mentioned once or twice but I'm fairly certain nobody's ever installed like-for-like direct swap parts. Installing good RCA sockets should be one of the final mods as it can make stripping more complex and they're a minor pain to fit.

Gold plated brass / teflon sockets will sound (just) noticably better than standard and something like the heavy silver plate CMCs are very noticably better still.

Simon

ps - my Finnish cousin shares your name :cool:

UV101 said:

What transformers Andy? I've been pondering since just before xmas. I would definately be interested in you opinion. I've looked elsewhere for audio consulting units but I think Audiocom have the UK market!

Ian

Whet I was playing around with the valve output stage (..seems like ages ago...) I also tried using a transformer output.

I picked up a couple of high quality input Tx off Ebay, with various input / output tappings.

I quickly tagged it to the output of the dac and it worked.

I would not like to comment on the sound as it was very quick but listenable, anyway.

I would have to try different wiring etc but room for experimentation anyway.

Remember, the dac output is from an "op-amp", 5v pulses.
The Tx acts as filter and dc isolator

Andy