Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Barracuda / all,

....no, i wasn't able to solve the issues with the Bursons. I played around with different voltages / adjustments on the LT1085/1033 regs i use, but one way or another - always something was cooking, so i ditched them at last.
I did a long research on the net about this and finally found a statement of a guy who obviously had the same problem in his DAC.

Soundwise i decided to find them "quiet good" in the end.....

The LME...HA i reinstalled were also abandoned after a few weeks (too harsh/edgy "hi-fi") - maybe oscilllations.....?
Right now i use OPA827 which appear to give me the most acceptable results so far.

Next step will be the DOS - see what happens there....

Regards,
Mickie

CD67 bessel filter

Hi guys!

Thanks for the nice thread! Does anybody know what is the brand or model of the original orange capacitor that marantz uses for the filter stage around the op amp. I'm planning to change the C605 n C606 from 1000pF to 470pF as per the bessel filter note. The original orange cap is a film 100V 1000pF with 0.5% tolerance. Sounds like a precision capacitor with a very tight tolerance. I wonder what is the brand or series? If possible I'd like to use the same model for the 470pF.

Cheers!

Eddy.

i used 1% polystyrene to replace those horrid orange blobs!

I'm pretty certain the Farnell part no.s are in Rays original list but if not you can find the 470pf here

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9520791&_requestid=472782

Make sure you study the Bessel filter mod details on Rays website. there's more to it than just changing the cap from 1000uf to 470uf!

While you doing that, I'd change all the R's and the rest of the orange caps! Its not an expensice are to mod.

It made a nice difference with the opamps and decoupling caps already completed. ;)

Cheers Ian

Re: CD67 bessel filter

flyboi said:
Hi guys!

The original orange cap is a film 100V 1000pF with 0.5% tolerance. Sounds like a precision capacitor with a very tight tolerance.

Cheers!

Eddy.

Hi Eddy,

I wish it was true... I would leave them in place if they were 0.5% :D!

I'm afraid this is one of the many typo's that exist in the manual. The orange caps are ordinairy MKT film caps with 5% tolerance. You can tell by the code that's printed on them: 102J means 1000pF/5%. 102E would be 0.5%.

Regards,

Ray

Re: Re: CD67 bessel filter

UV101 said:
i used 1% polystyrene to replace those horrid orange blobs!

I'm pretty certain the Farnell part no.s are in Rays original list but if not you can find the 470pf here

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9520791&_requestid=472782

Make sure you study the Bessel filter mod details on Rays website. there's more to it than just changing the cap from 1000uf to 470uf!

While you doing that, I'd change all the R's and the rest of the orange caps! Its not an expensice are to mod.

It made a nice difference with the opamps and decoupling caps already completed. ;)

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the input.

6h5c said:

Hi Eddy,

I wish it was true... I would leave them in place if they were 0.5% :D!

I'm afraid this is one of the many typo's that exist in the manual. The orange caps are ordinairy MKT film caps with 5% tolerance. You can tell by the code that's printed on them: 102J means 1000pF/5%. 102E would be 0.5%.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray!

That's what I thought. I was thinking to leave them alone if it is really 0.5% :D . Thanks for the highlight!

Cheers!

Eddy.

:D

ccschua said:
Can I know why is LCR Polystrene cap prefered over Silver mica ?

I did use a silver mica for the 470pf part of the bessel mod on my 1st cd67. The only reason I didn't go with it again on the 63 was because I did most of Rays list with the same part types.

I wouldn't like to comment on what was better because the players were in very different states of tune. I would suspect that there is very minimal difference if detactable at all!

ccschua said:

are u changing the resistor to te Welwyn RC55Y type ? Is the welwyn better than the caddock TF040 ?

I use RC55Y for interconnect attenuation and in the signal path in in my philips player. They are of excellent quality. I've not tried any other "gucci" resistors to compare them with.

On the 63, i used close tolerance surface mounts (as per the part numbers on Rays list).

I think I've probably got a complete set (styrene caps and smt R's) left over if anyone's interested??

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 225
Joined 2006
Paid Member
FT-3

After a long period producing beautifull sounds, I finally decided to upgrade the CD53.

Here is a pic of the FT-3 100nF Teflon caps used to bypass the 4.7u mundorfs on the DOS.

Integration is perfect..... Never sounded so open and detailed.

Ricardo

Attachments

• p1010008 (medium).jpg
    p1010008 (medium).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am not sure I should rise this matter again but here you are:

The extra connection is for a 580000uF sprague giant cap I am using after the main digital +5v reg. (feeding the laser, the main cpu chip and the servos).
All other chips have dedicated psu´s.

Without it I loose presence and sweet trebble integration.

I am planning to feed the HF amp with a dedicated psu and sreg... after that I will try without the big cap.

Ricardo