Martin Logan Aerius i crossover upgrades

I have this crossover too... I use a pair of B&W ASW650 subwoofers under the aerius (literally, the aerius stands for this) and they complement each other fantastically... All that remains is the active cross-shifting of the logan to maximize the experience. Now is the time, and with your help I could easily do this :)You all have been unbelievably helpful, stuff like this reminds me why I stay away from Facebook. I never thought this thread would go anywhere honestly.

I actually have an old active XOver but just this afternoon someone is looking to buy it from me, I was looking at this online and it will do DSP as well, looks like it would be a good fit. It's also worth noting that I can buy this unit for less than it would cost to use film caps in the passive woofer Xover.

View attachment 1025920
https://cosmomusic.ca/products/crossover-behringer-dcx2496le
I'm absolutely loving these ideas and will have to put them to good use. I love playing with stuff like this, I'm excited.

@ brandon3212276

I have been reading your excellent description on your Aerius mod a few times.
I did the re-capping modification on the x-over a few years ago which brought more clarity to the sound stage.

I would like to do the Bracing mod.
Would you mind describing if your Bracing made an audible difference to the Bass response / firming up the Bass?

If anyone else have done cabinet bracing on passive MLs, you are of cause more than welcome to comment on the question above.

@brandon3212276 - thank you for your reply.
As I am a Tube purist :) I am not so keen on active Xover. Would you mind telling me which active Xover you have used? Just in case I would want to try it out ;)
What I am currently trying to achieve is improving the Bass response (tightening the Bass).

There is a German company called HiFi-Zenit offering an update the the Bass Xover. As far as I understand, taking out the xover Caps and implementing a choke. The idea is to lower the Xover frequency, which is supposed amongst others to firm the Bass and make it interfere less with the panel frequency.

If anyone have experience with a such procedure, I would love to hear from you.

I've heard of this company and the updated bass crossover but I've never heard of anyone actually using it.

The best solution is to use an amplifier with built in active crossovers such as the new Crown XLS pro amps. Use something simple like this on the woofer and use your tubes on the panel. The passive vs active argument has been beaten to death over on the Martin Logan forums and the active solution has been shown to be better many times. Taking the load imbalance away from the tube amplifier might also help.

I use a Dayton 4X8 DSP crossover as detailed in the earlier pages of this thread.

I took a look at the HiFi Zenit website and it looks like they're just reworking the passive bass crossover to target a lower frequency cutoff. I'm sure this is an improvement over stock but it's still only 12db/octave. I doubt it's anywhere near as good as an active Xover.

Attachments

• 9 (1).jpg
    9 (1).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
@brandon3212276 - Thank you for taking time to look at the HiFi Zenit modification. You are right they just rework the passive Bass XO, apparently with quite some sound improvement. As I do not want to go active I am going to let them do the rework. I will write a review as soon as I have it back in the speakers.

Some years ago I upgraded parts of the XO like follows referencing the attached schematic:
Panel XO part:
C2 - 22UF swapped to a Audyn Q4 22UF
C1 and C2 bypassed with a Audyn Q4 0,1UF
C1 - 10UF Audyn Q4 was not in stock back then so I left the stock PP - 10UF in.

Bass XO part:
C4 - 100UF swapped to a Audyn Q4 100UF (quite big)

The improvement was quite audible, I was satisfied.

Today I decided to swap
the original C1 PP 10UF with a Audyn Q4 10UF
also swapped the C3 - 15UF ELECTRO to a Audyn Q4 15UF
at the same time I removed the bypass Audyn Q4 and installed a Audyn Plus 0,1UF in the same place bypassing C1 and C2

I left the Bass XO part as described above as I am going to get the HiFi Zenit Bass XO rework done.

WOW was that an improvement, I´m absolutely flabbergasted!
The soundstage turned deeper and wider and the high frequencies is far more detailed. I did not expect such a vast improvement.

Attachments

• Aerius Crossover Schematic.pdf
    14.3 KB · Views: 13