Measuring watts of a woofer

Estoy en un proyecto de un sistema de audio DIY con altavoces reutilizados, por lo que he tenido que medir todos los parámetros de los altavoces por mi cuenta, pero hay un parámetro que no he podido medir... Watts.
Los watts máximos que soportan mis woofers, y es un gran dato que necesito saber con qué fuente amplificar el sistema sin quemar mis woofers.
Entonces estoy buscando una manera de medir esto, por eso vine aquí, para ver si alguien me puede dar una respuesta o recomendación.

:cop: Moderation Edit. Please post in English.

I'm in a DIY audio system project with repurposed speakers, so I've had to measure all the speaker parameters on my own, but there's one parameter I haven't been able to measure... Watts.
The maximum watts my woofers support, and it's a big fact that I need to know which source to amplify the system with without burning out my woofers.
So I'm looking for a way to measure this, that's why I came here, to see if someone can give me an answer or recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Translated means;
"I'm on a DIY audio system project with reused speakers, so I had to measure all the speaker parameters myself, but there is one parameter I haven't been able to measure... Watts.
The maximum watts that my woofers support, and it is a great piece of information that I need to know with which source to amplify the system without burning out my woofers.
So I'm looking for a way to measure this, that's why I came here, to see if anyone can give me an answer or recommendation."

Answer;
Read the part number of your speaker and search the manufacturers web site for data.

Reactions: 1 user

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Maximum power for loudspeakers is the thermal power the voice coil can take without itself or the connected parts getting damaged.
The main parameters are:
  • Voice coil diameter
  • Winding height
  • Voice coil former material
  • Thermal capacity and conductivity of voice coil and attached/adjacent elements (ferrofluid?)
  • Voice coil ventilation
To get a rough estimation of max thermal power try to investigate the parameters above and find comparable drivers and their Pmax rating.

Also have a look at this very useful posting regarding correlation of voice coil winding lateral area and power rating:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...wer-handling-of-a-speaker.403293/post-7453502

You could also try to measure the temperature rise via resistance/impedance increase (resistance=voltage/current) when applying increasing voltages. But you need to know the voice coil wire material (copper? Aluminium?) and you need to be very careful and keep temperature low in order not to damage the voice coil and/or glue joints.
Don't use DC for voice coil heating! Voice coils need to move to be cooled!