mechanical resonance in MMs

And then the obvious fun of LP's first start, then second 50 seconds later. :eek: Never the same thing twice.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 199
  • finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 201
Joined 2014
Paid Member
FYI - Here is the STR112 side A on my setup. The first is Lateral 5cm/sec tri-wave @ 1kHz outer groove, second is inner groove of same. Yes this disk is recorded as an analytical signal directly to the cutter and they claim great care was taken to get the displacements and velocities exactly right.

A little bit of overshoot on the inner grooves, but to me that looks pretty darned good especially for a £180 turntable.

EDIT - Note the slope changes on the inner grooves, I hope LD has a story for this. :)

If cartridge output is a square wave, the stylus is physically transcribing a triangle wave shaped groove. The flat portions of the square wave are the long straight sections of the triangle wave, a constant angle. The exact angle changes depending on spindle radius: it's very different for inner and outer grooves, but always a triangle shape.

Edges/slope of the square wave are physically the apex of the cut groove triangle wave. Curvature of this apex increases significantly for inner grooves as the angles mating there become steeper. At some point, either stylus curvature won't fit the apex, or stylus acceleration force at the apex, which is a function of curvature, becomes so great that vinyl deforms*/cantilever bends* (*delete accordingly ;)). The result is that there is a limit to curvature which can be transcribed, and since curvature = acceleration = slew rate of cartridge output, the edges of yer square wave have lower slew rate on inner grooves.

It's real and affects slew rate of programme material too.

Experiment number 2, 5cm Lateral square wave on one channel while shorting/unshorting the other channel. Not one iota of effect from having one side of the motor assembly driving a short circuit vs an open circuit.
That's a good test, and yes, that result's right. The generator converts so little of available mechanical power, that shorting the coil has no mechanical effect because the forces invoked in the generator are many orders of magnitude smaller than those moving the cartridge mechanics.

I would assume with respect to past discussions here any efficiency loss would ultimately translate as loss of SNR? 5mV into 47K is ~50nW so at a 400 Ohm internal loss that would be 1.2uA or is that not a way to look at it?
See above, yes I make it that 5mV into 470 ohms (shorted MM coil) is ~ 50nW, versus perhaps 0.3mW mechanical power available tracing a 5cm/s rms 1kHz groove. That would make the generator about 0.02% efficient. This is why there is no mechanical damping associated with cartridge loading.

LD

I think Bill was referring to the fact as LD states that this theory flies in the face of just about everything previous. If you look into the literature there are just too many papers by some pretty smart people with footnotes to the effect, "well when we made measurements there were these artifacts and we have no idea where they are from".
I rationalise this as due to many effects of vinyl spring and cantilever flex being very similar, and hard to separate, both being pragmatically plausible on the face of it. It's only if one is interested in managing the effect, such as working out what to change to influence the resonance, that it matters. For many purposes it doesn't matter, so for decades I think it plausible that the wrong explanation was used and the resonance incorrectly assumed to be intractable......

LD

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Barney showed that a 75usec pole could be created with a resistor a bit lower than 47K , modifying the electrical resonance into a first order low pass response up to a supersonic frequency.
This simulated resistor had a value of around 10K using a Shure V15.
However connecting a MM Cart to a virtual ground is yet a far cry from the 10K that Barney used.
Total agreement, but not all of us use transimpedance amplifiers often enough to spot that. The Van Raalte/Cordell approach you can see the 10k, but on first inspection (note I have said that several times), you see 150k or more across the cart and have to go away and remind yourself about something you forgot 25 years ago. (for 'you' read 'me' :) ).
And yes, that MC preamps with virtual inputs are on the market is also well known, but I'm not aware of any preamp for an MM cart using a virtual ground input.
Other than the ones LD is currently using possibly not. Again total agreement.
But then you mention a nail in the coffin. Does this mean that you don't see a reason to believe in a mechanical resonance.
The model used by van Raalte may be oversimplified but good enough for frequencies up to 20k, but as LD has mentioned, resonance may be better described by a TL, but nevertheless its existence seems to be well proven.
well if the AT, loaded with 47k and low enough C can go up to over 40kHz this suggests there is not a mechanical prop up of audio frequencies as the mech resonance. Any resonance that occurs is way above the audio band. So the van Raalte model is not necessary for at least one group of MM.
So after all, with all respect, I still don't get the exact nature of your doubts.

Hans
I'm not as clever as you is I think the root cause :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The resonant frequency being stimulated is about 40kHz?

If I read the scale correctly, the ripple riding on the flats of the square wave looks to be about 40kHz, with little attenuation. Not much damping at this frequency. Anyone like to suggest candidates for the elements involved?

a) flexure of cantilever between tip and pivot?
b) torsion of cantilever between tip and pivot?
c) ... any others?

FYI - Here is the STR112 side A on my setup. The first is Lateral 5cm/sec tri-wave @ 1kHz outer groove, second is inner groove of same.

One more test I changed nothing and recorded both sides of the Sheffield Labs Track Record (a turgid collection of 70's memes) and the Crystal Clear Charlie Byrd album (actually nicer than I remember). Not a single over with no RIAA in the path. Apply your digital RIAA and be done with it.

Attachments

• clip1.jpg
    clip1.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 186
I'm not as clever as you is I think the root cause :)
When you got the feeling that I was trying to impress you, I'm sorry for that.
When quadrophonic records do exist going all the way to 45 KHz, are there no test records available going up to 50Khz.
With a virtual input preamp, all electrical resonances would be excluded and mechanical resonance would be easier to investigate.

Hans

FYI - Here is the STR112 side A on my setup. The first is Lateral 5cm/sec tri-wave @ 1kHz outer groove, second is inner groove of same. Yes this disk is recorded as an analytical signal directly to the cutter and they claim great care was taken to get the displacements and velocities exactly right.

As direct as possible recording, cart buffered by 2SK74 followers directly into Tascam DR-60D mic inputs, 24/96 with 32,768 full scale.

EDIT - Note the slope changes on the inner grooves, I hope LD has a story for this. :)

Hi Scott,

When I understand your comment correctly, you measured the output from a buffered cart. Does this mean a high impedance, much higher than 47K ?
But even then, the capacitance of the wiring from cart to high impedance buffer in combination with the Cart's inductance could easily create a resonance peak around 40Khz.

So would it then be an idea to repeat your test with different resistance values in order to shift the electrical resonance upwards ?
When 40Khz resonance in your recordings is not affected one could probably say that this resonance is of mechanical nature, do you agree ?

Hans

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Actually my biggest issue is floor loading. The floor in the living room has needed re-inforcing once already. But I only bought 42 albums in February and total cost was £37. The best buy was the Archiv 15LP box set of Walcha playing Bach organ music.

CD reissue sets are another weakness. Luckily easier to resist. But still wanted... Yes I bought Mozart 225 with money that should have gone on finishing my amplifier project. But more music is better than more amplifiers...

Hi Scott,

When I understand your comment correctly, you measured the output from a buffered cart. Does this mean a high impedance, much higher than 47K ?
But even then, the capacitance of the wiring from cart to high impedance buffer in combination with the Cart's inductance could easily create a resonance peak around 40Khz.

So would it then be an idea to repeat your test with different resistance values in order to shift the electrical resonance upwards ?
When 40Khz resonance in your recordings is not affected one could probably say that this resonance is of mechanical nature, do you agree ?

Hans

No 47K and a 1 meter cable. It's a Grado BTW. Also the STR120 does have bands up to 50kHz I found my collection bought everyone that was in print in 1980.

No 47K and a 1 meter cable. It's a Grado BTW. Also the STR120 does have bands up to 50kHz I found my collection bought everyone that was in print in 1980.

Grado's usually have a very low inductance, I don't know what model you have but when assuming 60mH plus a total capacity of 200pF for all of the cabling and 47K termination, electrical resonance is almost at the 40Khz resonance as in your recording.
So may I suggest for you to repeat the square wave test with the shortest possible interlink in combination with a 22k load resistor ?

Hans