• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mic preamp idea (6N1P + 12AU7)

If the 6EJ7 triode wired miller effect capacitance causes -3dB @ 36kHz; that is -1dB @ 18kHz.

What is the distributed capacitance of the PRC-2?
What is the plate impedance, rp, of the triode wired 6EJ7?
What is the resulting -1 dB high frequency from those?

I am not sure which comes first . . .
Microphone -1dB @ high frequency
Tweeter - 1dB @ high frequency
My ears -1dB @ high frequency (no question, this IS the limiting high frequency factor of my system from microphone to ear).

I never saw an air gapped signal choke that did not introduce hum in the presence of a magnetic hum field.

//This is one way to have the life more complicated.
The SM57 is declared to have -3dB at 15 kHz and the cost of it is around 99$.
The question is:
if I would spent time and money for a complicated circuit ( this only in the virtual world, it is a simulation) or is better to adjust a more simply one.
Considering that the chocke must be a good stuff , so not cheap.
Then, I will amplify the signal then I reduce it in output by 4:1 ratio (12 dB!!!) using a trafo that is not so cheap.
For which reason?

Walter
Professional mic preamps and other pro preamps tend to strive for bandwidth far beyond the 20 khz (and I at 45 have enough trouble hearing 18 khz), why is that?

Wasn't I taught it is to preserve transients and phase relationship? Isn't that part of the reason why we check for 10 khz square wave response of an amplifier - no only to test NFB loop stability, but an ideal amp will draw those square waves nice and square into its nominal load? At least, with no nasty ringing around the leading edges.

Last edited:
I think the TL072 does not add anything - unity gain. L5 could pick up hum. If your looking for low noise what about mu follower for first stage?

The only thing it does is provide low Z-in into the triode-strapped 6EJ7. Which has a significant Miller capacitance.

L5 could very well be a hum magnet (pun intended). Maybe a DN2540 CCS plate load instead?

Last edited:
If the 6EJ7 triode wired miller effect capacitance causes -3dB @ 36kHz; that is -1dB @ 18kHz.

What is the distributed capacitance of the PRC-2?
What is the plate impedance, rp, of the triode wired 6EJ7?
What is the resulting -1 dB high frequency from those?

I am not sure which comes first . . .
Microphone -1dB @ high frequency
Tweeter - 1dB @ high frequency
My ears -1dB @ high frequency (no question, this IS the limiting high frequency factor of my system from microphone to ear).

I never saw an air gapped signal choke that did not introduce hum in the presence of a magnetic hum field.

Alas, the manufacturer isnt likely to share the detailed specs on the PRC-2. Most likely they don't even know/measure themselves.

The rp of a trioded 6EJ7 is on the order of 5K. Mu is 55.

But the plate load choke picking up hum is a very real concern. I will admit I haven't used plate chokes in real life. If I did, I would probably pot every one in a ferrous enclosure (magnetic shield) as well as observe the minimum distances and orientation to minimize coupling.

Looks like my 1st schematic will be the one I'll try. The second idea maybe for later.

Last edited:
Why not use the 6ej7 pentode?

But there's nothing special about pentode 6EJ7, in that case just go for a traditional pentode EF86 line stage, as it is a low noise (by 1960's standards) audio tube.

I actually have one version I simulated. With 100K Rplate and 470K Rscreen and unbypassed 1.3K in the cathode the overall THD (coming out of WCF) is curiously low with no NFB. Must be some distortion cancellation going on there, but whether this will actually happen in real life, I don't know.