Modifying prebuilt "book" crossovers?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Back story first.
Was building some party speakers from bits and bobs in the shed and some old boxes waiting to be junked. Found some cheap generic XOs on eBay and bought them because I didn't want to muck about on $100- speakers
These NOS from Jaycar
https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-way-speaker-crossover-1200hz-5khz/p/CX2621
I ordered 2 from the seller and using them now and they are "OK" with the drivers I'm using.
BUT
I just got a message from the seller that there had been a mistake in the listing and dispatch and he's sending me another pair.
I have some NOS and slightly used drivers in the shed I was contemplating making up some bigger speakers with.
I can't do anything about the orientation of the inductors easily or at all but I can change the capacitors for something better but is it possible to adapt what is coming to a third order at all? If so what compromises would I have to make?
I'd be using Zobles on the midbass and 50mm dome to get a reasonably flat impedance and using the first generation Vifa Neo tweeter on top.
It seems to me that these cross points are reasonable for the drivers I have, the Peerless dome is a nice even driver as is the Vifa Neo tweeter.
Woofer cross-over will then depend on how the top half works but I have a pair of 12" Carbon fibre woofers here that give good solid bass and I might just use those rather than buying a Peerless woofer.
Thoughts and advice please

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have an Oriental grass problem, I'm bamboozled.
Already suffering under my poor understanding of electronics I can't get my head around how this XO is supposed to work
The section marked with the query? only seems to connected with the input via that 15uF capacitor which the 3.3uF tweeter capacitor is cascaded off. Doesn't that reduce the value of the total capacitance in the tweeter circuit to ~ 2.7uF ?

Attachments

• IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 35