• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mounting ceramic sockets

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello!
Can you guys advice on mounting ceramic bases like the one in the picture? I believe they are designed to be mounted under the chassis, but not sure how to handle the bit that stands out on the mounting hole.
Any advice is appreciated.
Regards,
Jose

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114-110040.png
    Screenshot_20230114-110040.png
    367.9 KB · Views: 123
With those I would put some sort of flexible washer/gasket material between the chassis and the flange around the mounting holes.

Those are about the only Novar sockets left on the planet, so there isn’t much choice to use them and it’s prudent to be careful with them. Not exactly the most solderable lugs on them, either. Forget that lead free $***.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
They could be Magnoval either. Same pin circle diameter, but thinner pins (1 mm vs. 1,2 mm afaik). Have some of them in my drawers. Hope Jose knows exactly what they are ;) .

Best regards!
Well, they were advertised as B9D sockets. I tried 6P41S, PL504/8/9, insertion force feels the same with all of them. Not as tight as the Chinese B9Ds, which, in my opinion, are too tight.

With those I would put some sort of flexible washer/gasket material between the chassis and the flange around the mounting holes.

Those are about the only Novar sockets left on the planet, so there isn’t much choice to use them and it’s prudent to be careful with them. Not exactly the most solderable lugs on them, either. Forget that lead free $***.
I make a Novar socket... https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-usa-large-9-pin-tubes-with-1-mm-pins.378427/

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, maybe because of the pin diameter that they shared with Compactrons. But also the legendary Philips/La Radiotechnique EL520 featured them, in contrast to it's successor, the also legendary, scarce and $$$ EL503, the same tube but with Magnoval socket and the same pinout.

Best regards!

Reactions: 1 user
Yep.
I designed it after I found out that my 12GT5 tubes were loose in the Chinese Magnoval sockets and real ones are almost unobtainable.
Exactly. IIRC, the ones in post 1 were made by Svetlana originally, so when they’re gone they’re gone. I bought some of the 12 pin versions of the ones in post 10. And I have trouble getting the pins to line up when plugging in tubes and have to be very careful. The overall quality is dubious.

I managed to crack one of these Russian sockets. The lack of the usual somewhat springy metal ring suggests to me that they were designed to be screwed down to a more compliant material rather than to a metal chassis. They are, after all, intended for the Russian tv tubes 6P36S, 6P41S and 6P42/45S. The Chinese ones have the ring, so shouldn’t require to be tightened down so hard. I use a small drill to carefully open out the pins.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I managed to crack one of these Russian sockets. The lack of the usual somewhat springy metal ring suggests to me that they were designed to be screwed down to a more compliant material rather than to a metal chassis. They are, after all, intended for the Russian tv tubes 6P36S, 6P41S and 6P42/45S. The Chinese ones have the ring, so shouldn’t require to be tightened down so hard. I use a small drill to carefully open out the pins.
I just measured the pins of a PL504, PL508 and 6P41S, all exactly the same at around 1.25mm.