• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mounting ceramic sockets

hello Jose:
I would be inclined to mount them from below and put a rubber gasket/washer on each of the mounting screw. The gasket will allow a bit of flex, reduce tension on the ceramic and decouple the socket from the chassis. I would also "pre-stretch" the pin holes onto a tube before I tried to fit them once the sockets are mounted to the chassis to lower the risk of cracking the ceramic.
I hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
hello Jose:
I would be inclined to mount them from below and put a rubber gasket/washer on each of the mounting screw. The gasket will allow a bit of flex, reduce tension on the ceramic and decouple the socket from the chassis. I would also "pre-stretch" the pin holes onto a tube before I tried to fit them once the sockets are mounted to the chassis to lower the risk of cracking the ceramic.
I hope this helps
About pre-stretching, there is no need with the ones in my first post. With the Chinese ones, definitely!

... , also adding a rubber gasket ...
.. or a paper washer, with rubber there is shaky movement.

paper.jpg

I just measured the pins of a PL504, PL508 and 6P41S, all exactly the same at around 1.25mm.
Yes, it's the standardized Magnoval pin diameter, vs. 1 mm for Novar (and Compactron) pins.
.. or a paper washer, with rubber there is shaky movement.

View attachment 1130870
Aren't these fibre washers? Anyway, I also think they're the best solution of all.
Could you take a flat file to the raised area around the holes and flatten them out?
Easier than machining elongated holes maybe.
What about just drilling a hole of the raised areas' bigger diameter instead of elongated holes? Filing ceramics is a tedious job and requires diamond instead of steel files. A real PITA!

Best regards!

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Yes, it's the standardized Magnoval pin diameter, vs. 1 mm for Novar (and Compactron) pins.

Aren't these fibre washers? Anyway, I also think they're the best solution of all.

What about just drilling a hole of the raised areas' bigger diameter instead of elongated holes? Filing ceramics is a tedious job and requires diamond instead of steel files. A real PITA!

Best regards!
I just tried filing the protuberance in one side, worked pretty well with my cheap flat file 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20230117_104855981.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230117_104855981.PORTRAIT.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 39