MOX - active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

thank you all for positive feedback. It isn't my intention to make and sell PCB's. I'm going to post PCB pictures (not *.pcb files), which are very simple, and anyone will be able to redraw the design based on these pictures (hint - all resistors are standard 400mils). The design is free for personal use but if someone wants to make and sell PCBs on the DIYAudio, they may do so provided that a small percentage of their profits (ca 5%) goes to DIYAudio web server maintenance.

Regards

Attachments

• mox_pcb_opamp.jpg
    mox_pcb_opamp.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,830
MOAMPS,

Nice job. How does it sound?

Is the balanced output stage the same as the XVR? The simplified XVR schematic has a balanced output stage that appears to be floating and not referenced to ground. What are the benefits of one over the other? What type of configuration is the XVR's and what is it called. I looked in a few op-amp books that I have and didn't see a similar circuit. The only draw back I can see is this configuration has different input impedances. Can anyone explain the XVR balanced output stage.

BDP

Hello,

Congratulations for your crossover filter.

It is the first time that I see an crossover filter with balanced inputs and balanced outputs for diyers.

With unbalanced input, is it necessary to connect the pin 3 to the ground ?

Can one add 1, 2, 3 highpass filters for to have 3, 4, 5 channels crossover filter ?

Thank you for your answer

Regards

BDP said:
Is the balanced output stage the same as the XVR? The simplified XVR schematic has a balanced output stage that appears to be floating and not referenced to ground. What are the benefits of one over the other? What type of configuration is the XVR's and what is it called. I looked in a few op-amp books that I have and didn't see a similar circuit. The only draw back I can see is this configuration has different input impedances.

Hi,

I heard this xover with moderate quality PS (LM317/337) in a PA system, and the sound was very good, with overall distortions under 0.05%. For home HIFI arrangements, I suggest using moderate quality parts to determine xover frequencies, Q's, etc., and then building the xover with fixed characteristics using higher quality caps, resistors etc.

I am not familiar with the details of the XVR's balanced output, but I don't think it is floating. Only transformer balanced outputs are truly floating, IMO. In literature, several ways to obtain an electronic balanced output can be found, one of them being the topology I have used. (see Rane schematics library). Drawbacks? Every topology has some.

Regards

Originally posted by jlm
With unbalanced input, is it necessary to connect the pin 3 to the ground ?]
Hi,
it isn't necessary but it is slightly better (higher gain, smaller noise, etc.)
Can one add 1, 2, 3 highpass filters for to have 3, 4, 5 channels crossover filter ?

Yes, of course. You can build 3,4,5 channel xover with any slope you need.

Regards

Hi, this does look like a very useflu littile thing to build, but I have one question (which is probably obvoius but I just want to make sure).

In your first post you say that you want this to be variable from 6 - 24 dB/Octave but you boards apear to be only for one section allowing 6 or 12. So i take it that you mean to cascade two units to reach the higher levels?

..... and now the rest of the story.

I also went and designed my own resistor matrix that was the result of a lot of work if you will remember. I also resisted the temptation to post a finished design or offer kits. My problem is when someone presents a finished design based pretty exclusively on Mr. Pass's or someone elses's design. There are people who can reverse engineer stuff and go do their own thing, that is inevitable. When you publish PCB layouts and finished designs, people start building commercial knock offs and kits. The more ground work you lay, the easier it is for someone to come along and make a finished PCB. If you will look at what happened with the Aleph X you will see what I mean. I think that people are biting the hand that feeds them. I think that early in the thread it is hard to see where discussions of Mr. Pass's commercial work will go. I have stupidly contributed to this. With some hindsight, it now becoming obvious that they often result in efforts that are not in Pass Labs best interest. I hope that others will think about this before letting things get to these levels. Nelson has done too much for the DIY community to be an unpaid consultant for commercial interest. I'll bet Mr. Curl has some opinions about unpaid consulting.........

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, Nelson Pass had ALREADY said that he was going to publish a crossover design. I hardly think that his design would be so different than his commercial designs. When he publishes a design, he spells out every detail. In fact he had promisd this for a couple of years I think! It appears that he is relieved that he doesn't have to write this one up anytime soon.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fred, I always appreciate your looking out for my interests ;)
and the circuit looks a lot like an XVR1, but there is hardly
any ground-breaking stuff there. Also, anyone who wants to
implement Sallen-Key filters and their variations doesn't have
to talk to me.

Can I do better? Guess I'll have to.....

:devilr:

hacknet said:
i think this is a super cool active xo, but may i ask what is the offset for? is it a muliplier of somesort?

Hi,

Here is possibility to set central frequency almost in the middle (-3dB point) between two standard discrete 1/3 octave frequency by adding 10 times smaller capacitor (100nF+10nF or 10nF+1nF or 1nF+100pF).

for example:

OFFSET FREQ.
foff=2^(-1/6*fn)=0.89*fn (-3dB point)
for f1=25Hz, f1off=22.3Hz
for C=C1+C2+C3=111nF and R1=63k4
after (2) foff=22.6Hz

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.