• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mr. Liang audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have recently brought a 845/5 version of this amp directly from audio rennaissance as they are now called, ms liang deals with orders keep your english simple and you should be fine.A lot of people have commented on the quality of these amps without even owning one! here is my view, the amp is superbly made it has no hum and is dead quite i use it out of choice over my krell fbp200 its in a different league.the mains transformers do run hot ,solution is use a laptop cooler for £750 inc carriage i think its a bargain.

845amp081.jpg

These are not your normal chinese cheap and cheerful stuff ,40kg tells you that, they manufacture there own transformers ,not many companies do that .the amps get a good soak test before leaving the factory and they have been in business for many years so i think anyone thinking of buying from them can do so with confidence. hope my post does not come across as sales pitch just wish to convey my enthusiasm for the product.personally i have not felt the need to modify the amp am quite happy how it is apart from the transformer temperatures.

Hi all

I have recently bought the Audio Renaissance 845 with the 300B input valves.
There was damage to the 845B valves in transit and, whilst I wait for replacements, I have put some Shuguang 845C valves in.

Keeping the Affordable Audio review in mind I have been steadily running this in. I have reached 100 hours now but the sound is really not pleasant. Hard and almost slightly distorted whenever the music peaks.
I am doggedly chalking up the hours to at least 150, as this seemed to be the magic run-in time in the Affordable Audio review, but right now I am very underwhelmed.

Has my experience been similar to others? Would the change from 845B to 845C be a problem which is causing this?

I also import the Yarland Pro-845 and right out of the box this is very fine sounding. An interesting comparison having them sitting side by side. I guess this will just get better with running in too.

I will also have the Audio Renaissance 813 amp up and running in a day or two so will be able to compare all three.

Do you think I just need to be nice and patient with the AR 845 and it will all become obvious once the hours have clocked up?

Just an update to my previous post. The LS 813 straight out of the box is far more musical than the LS 845/300 with 130 hours on it.
Soundstage is bigger, absolutely no harshness, lovely high detail.
It sounds like what I thought the LS 845 was going to sound like.
There is a grainy harshness to the LS 845 that does not seem to be going away. I will clock up 200 hours but I can't see it being better than the LS 813.
I will also clock up 200 hours on the LS 813 and then compare but this amp is sounding gorgeous with only 7 hours play.

Hello,

I picked up one of these in the "Blown Up" condition here locally. I think a tube shorted and that blew up the regulator and transistor in the 300B filament supply. It also had some 450 Volt caps that in the 300B plate supply that looked pretty stressed so I changed them out to 550V 105Cs.

Not that I'm ready to retube it, I noticed that the 845 filament circuit is putting up 12.5 volts. (I checked it with a 3.2 ohm resistor to simulate the 845's load) I would think that is too much potential for those expensive tubes. I note the AC from the transformer is 11.2 under load whereas the drawing calls for 10.

Has anyone else noticed this problem on theirs?

I suppose the fix is either a 0.68R/15W resistor either in series with the filament or a slightly smaller one on the AC line before the bridge rectifier. Any thoughts on that choice?

Last edited:
These are not your normal chinese cheap and cheerful stuff ,40kg tells you that, they manufacture there own transformers ,not many companies do that

These are 100% typical Chinese garbage. I have one on the bench, and it has fake NCC caps and fake Nichicon caps, as well as a bunch of brands that don't seem to be real companies. Not surprisingly, many of these caps have opened up and are spewing their guts out. YGWYPF.

Is this new Mr. Liang amplifier?

I bought this 845 amp, branded as Shuguan 845-7.

It uses 6SN7 and 300B as driver.

I managed to open up the cover to take a look for the internal.

Sorry for the blur pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 305
  • C4244850-A52B-4048-A1A2-6CABECB7D9A0.jpg
    C4244850-A52B-4048-A1A2-6CABECB7D9A0.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.