My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

DcibeL, Thank you for your advice.
I have a further question for the transformer and shall be grateful if you could help me.
If I use that transformor for the Mauro"s Lm3386 with the attached PSU, can I do that with just one transformor?

I have some doubt of the output in V if I just parellal the output. Will it became +35V 0V- 35V?

I have not make any diy for almost 15 years and all memory are gone.

Accept me my silly question.

Attachments

• psu.png
    psu.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,661
How much heat sinking is enough?

I am assembling my Mauro kit right now and needed some input. I got some heatsink stock from that guy on ebay and wonder how much to use. I've got it cut down to where I could use one piece for both driver chips (LM3886's) or two heat sinks with one HS per driver. The pieces right now are cut at 5" x 2".

How much heatsink is needed or adequate? I will be cranking this amp into 90db speakers in a 21x23 foot room.

Here's a link to some pictures....
http://www.moranplanet.com/tommytube.com/mauro_penasa gainclone/heatsinks for LM3886 amp.htm

thanks,
Tom

Hi All,

I just wanted to throw out my support for Plovati efforts. I would recommend anyone who wants the excellent classic Rev A/C stereo circuit contact him and get in on his offering. It sounds like he is doing a great job, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out. I am not sure where he is willing to ship, but he has taken on a lot to get this done, and he deserves to succeed. So if you want the stereo board contact him please.

I may offer the original PCBs again at some point but it will not be for a while, so especially for those of you in Italy, please puchase his PCBs. We should all encourage that sort of effort.

Ciao
Russ

derekyu,

needlz said:
Just found a killer heatsink source.

Contact Rus directly (barrredboss@yahoo.com) and he will cut it to any size you want. I had him cut the 12" piece in half then in half widthwise for 4 pieces to fit the Ref amp perfectly. Ultra cheap pricing.

Heatsink Auction Page

This is the heatsink sourse that Brian Donegan used for the original Mauro GB.

The photo I posted above is actually from tommytube's webpage.

Michael

Hi All

Mauro did mention right in the beginning the inspiration for this little amp was the MF A370. after some digging (i was looking for circuit to replace my existing mosfet amp's circuit "kraftwerk clone") i stumbled on this circuit. and we can also see where he is comming from.

something i am going to build just to compare if it has the same signature

Cheers
Rudi

Attachments

• mf_mosfet-a-370.gif
    mf_mosfet-a-370.gif
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,728
rudi said:
Hi All

Mauro did mention right in the beginning the inspiration for this little amp was the MF A370. after some digging (i was looking for circuit to replace my existing mosfet amp's circuit "kraftwerk clone") i stumbled on this circuit. and we can also see where he is comming from.

something i am going to build just to compare if it has the same signature

Cheers
Rudi

Hey Rudi,

I think that schematic is for the P170/P270/P370

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between an A370 and a P370. Maybe Mauro can say if he heard this one (A370.2):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or something more like this (P180):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a P150 and P170 in various stages of renovation (they are '80's amps) My P150 is a very nice sounding amp, and I aim to compare them all (RevA, RevC, P150, P170) when I get a chance.

Michael

PCB ready gold plated

Just arrived the PCB from Mauro's Rev.A gerber.
Slighty mods:
reduced spacing between board edge (side LM3886) and Lm3886 pin to avoid interference with heath sink: tested ok, PCB does not touch heatsink with Lm3886TF (isolated)

Added a extra hole for mounting

Added wire connection on silk layer and AA BB letter to facilitate the individuation of point to be wire connected

Added few pad for SMD 0805 Rev. C component mounting or helping to solder the trditional one on solder (copper) side.

No solder so all the trace are available to solder some future components or mods

70um copper

Gold plating to avoid oxidation and make better contact.

Top view:

Attachments

• myreffronte.jpg
    myreffronte.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,549
Just a note about the heat performance of my case and some responses of visitors regarding my Mauro amp.

I've had a LOT of visitors recently, and about 55 people over for my 50th birthday party. It wasn't a dance party, so I have no tale of woe about the amp catching fire or anything like that :)

We left the test system running on the dining room table from about 9am until the following morning around 2am. This is the Mauro, Russ's FreeBird, Rotel 965BX CDP and my Tannoy 603 small bookshelf speakers. People swapped CD's as they felt, there was probably something on about 2/3 the time. Volume was louder than normal because of the extra background noise.

By about 10PM the rear of the case adjacent to where the 3886's are located, was hot to touch, but not so hot you had to remove your finger, It got no hotter than that. I have thought about adding a small heatsink to the back of the case, but I'm not sure it is required, I may wait until summer to see how it goes in warmer weather.

During the party there was a lot of talking going on, but I still had many comments about the sound and look of the amps. When things got quieter, and at other times, a few people have had a more serious listen. All have been delighted at the sound quality, some are genuinely stunned. My sister 'wants one'

Have to say that's a pretty positive endorsement of the amp.. Well done Mauro, Russ and everyone else involved. Can't wait to have a go at RevC!

Michael