• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first preamp with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is my personal experience with the 6x4 that it can cope with any amount of capacitance after the choke - thats right it can cope with 100's uf after the choke. i have been running one this way for well over a year. The original published power supply is undoubtedly the minimum needed to get this circuit quite. I would put significant money on the power supply been the source of almost all of your hum issues.

As for the PSU2 you want the output ripple to be in mV and you want the rise time to be over a few seconds without any overshoot and ringing. That looks like a steep but smooth curve leveling out to your final voltage. You need to model it for a resistive load rather than a CCS and for that you need to use ohms law to calculate the resistor which matches your circuit load.

Best to go with the power supply exactly shown in the original schematic.

Shoog

Last edited:
On this side of the world is very hard to get anything, I must winding my own transformers, so I hate them, almost much as chokes.

Many years ago, the Dutch elektor made my life easier.

Since then, I make regulated power supplies for everything, with MOSFET/OPAMP/Voltage reference.

Maybe this could help, only as a guide, with small PSRR of SRPP (my favourite topology)

Attachments

• 1a-small.jpg
    1a-small.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 165
Ok thx. It's very small text. Can't hardly read it. You have it in any better resolution?

Shoog: I'm gonna later use 6X5GT (have the russian eq. of this one) was it 6U5S? Don't remember. Don't have any 7pin to mount in chassie, and i like the octal socket ;) the 6x4-R is just for "now".

Ok thx. It's very small text. Can't hardly read it. You have it in any better resolution?

Shoog: I'm gonna later use 6X5GT (have the russian eq. of this one) was it 6U5S? Don't remember. Don't have any 7pin to mount in chassie, and i like the octal socket ;) the 6x4-R is just for "now".

Still the point holds - after the choke don't be afraid of using lots of uF. This is where PSU2 comes in as it will tell you if you are stressing the rectifier valve.

Shoog

It could still be marginal - but it looks better.
Unfortunately we need more information to answer the question accurately, in the form of exact current and voltage draw. Without it you would need to build it and listen or preferably measure its output with an oscilliscope.

Shoog

It could still be marginal - but it looks better.
Unfortunately we need more information to answer the question accurately, in the form of exact current and voltage draw. Without it you would need to build it and listen or preferably measure its output with an oscilliscope.

Shoog

Voltagedrop over droppres 13,35v -12mA (each tube around 5mA)
B+ next to tubes= 250v
Transformer sec: 230-0-230 - 0,04mA

I don't know any more i think.

If it were me I would go with a C-L-C-R-C-R-C arrangement with the MKP right off the xformer and before the choke. The rest would be good electrolytics.

Sims pretty good too I think.

Attachments

• Max-1.JPG
    Max-1.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Max-2.JPG
    Max-2.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Here is a 10uF - 47uF - 120uF - 10uF - rises even slower with a larger cap in position 3.

and now 40uF - 47uF - 120uF - 40uF - the 47uF in the third position works OK but 120 has a nicer curve. Either one would work though

Attachments

• Max-3.JPG
    Max-3.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Max-4.JPG
    Max-4.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.