My low cost bookshelf project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For desk computer audio I have had very good experience with Dave's uFonken, a nice sounding compact speaker. My first pair was built with 3/8" foam core board lined on the inside with 3/8" wool felt. Dave's design uses Fostex FF85WK, but I used Tang Band W3-881SIF that I had at hand, and had very good results, or you can use Tang Band's bamboo cone (forgot the model) which has extremely close specs to the Fostex. I'm sure that they sound better with Dave's intended driver, but with the inexpensive 3" Tang Band it made for good and inexpensive speaker.

Testing speakers - sources are important.

Back to testing the speakers - woofer only for a start, and that left channel only.

I am quite happy with the sound, clarity is good, but I find that the quality of the music is very much dependent on the source, more than before.

FM Radio

With the output from the transistor radio jack as well as the mini amp i get the same results - lacking in bass and overall quality. The signal itself does not seem very clear.

Computer CD player through Winamp using the equalizer
Acceptable

Wav files
Acceptable

Internet Radio
Acceptable

You Tube videos
Acceptable

This one sounded good - Sade.

It looks like I will be listening to the last four sources, probably. Even FM radio stations offer streaming which is a lot better than their radio broadcasts.

My amplifier? PC speaker with speaker wires disconnected from the speakers that came with the unit , and these wires connected to speaker terminals,

Attached the woofers in open baffle configuration. Already I am hearing more detail. Some of my CDs recorded professionally from LP sound really bad, noise and distortion. The better the equipment, the better the recording has to be?

Not necessarily, there are many factors, like how did your recorded CD's sounded before. It might well be that the professional wasn't so professional. It can happen with expensive equipment, and with not so expensive equipment. Some equipment is made to be revealing, where you can hear all the nuances of the music, every detail, play the recording as it was intended by the artist and sound engineer. Other equipment has the ability as to find a middle ground, a balance that will let you enjoy a bad recording. Higher end equipment tend to be more detailed, not add "coloring", and allows most nuances, because that is what you would expect for it to play a recording like if you had the artist live in your listening area. So, they tend to emphasize when a recording is not so good. But, I have heard an expensive Mark Levinson amp with Revel Gem2 speakers and a the TOL Oppo BR/CDP, and every single recording sounded good. You could tell when a CD wasn't the best recording, but it wouldn't be annoying. On the other hand, I have an inexpensive DIY Class D Sure Amp, played with speakers that range from DIY to higher end commercial speakers, and when a recording is bad it will let you know immediately.

If I might explain a bit more:

Recording 1: Steve Smith and Vital Information - Fiafiaga.

I have had this record since 1988 or so. It is one of my favourite. Recently I got it transferred to CD, and although it was not the best, I lacking in dynamic range, it was still enjoyable.

I play it on my speakers, and suddenly I can hear - record noise. You know the noise the needle makes on the record. I never heard it before.

Recording 2: Santana - Supernatural.
CD. Much better, and I hear once of the vocals in the background that I never heard before. I have listened in the car, on a mini stereo system and on headphones.

Recording 3:
A jazz record, I cannot trace the original. Also a copy from a tape I owned, distorted at the PC stage, on headhpones, so it can be discounted. But I hear no distortion on the Sony receiver and speakers from a 80's hif fi set, and it sounded fine.

Recording 4: Diana Krall - Live in Paris.
Not that is a recording. The vocals simply made me 'just like a fool stop and stare' Nuances I never heard before. I had heard this many times before. On the Sony and in the car.

The guitar solo on one of these tracks is warm and captivating. With the sounds of the brushed cymbals in the background, it is the single CD that has motivated me to seek the truth in audio in a way never before.

All this from two 20 year old possibly damaged Radio Shack 40-1011 woofers and a re-purposed PC speaker?

I can't help thinking about the time and money wasted on Hi-Fi equipment when one could do it yourself.

I have since refused to buy any of the commercial home theatre or mini hifi systems. I can't explain to the salesman why, he will never understand.

Next step is some plywood and the Fostex or so full ranges and a chip amp.

My living room system :

Sony SS-G333ES on thevintageknob.org

Sony STR-333 Manual - AM/FM Program Receiver - HiFi Engine

Last edited:
I have connected up the woofers and hooked them up to my PC speaker amplifier. All is well, could be better. I am now listening to this one. Why do synthesized drums sound do clean compared to the real thing?

I have since abandoned the open baffle concept. The main reason for the open baffle was the cost of material, but with a trip to the lcoal plywood supply, the material is not going to cost much at all.

Box volume should be over 0.35 cubic feet for a six inch woofer, according to this site, which means my speaker has to by 16 cm deep, a bit more than the 10 cm depth I planned, Worthwhile experimenting. Should bring out the bass somewhat.

Last edited:
Testing the speakers with YouTube videos

I trotted my speakers and my PC speaker amplifier to the living room and set up the speakers on the couch, about 2 metres apart.

I could listen to these speakers all day. I would have to keep modifying them ever so often. I could listen to these speakers for years.

Of course bass is lacking but clarity is good and imaging is sufficient. Accuracy is fair all very entertaining.

Tracks I listended to YouTube from my phone (Samsung Grand Pr

1. Classical guitar

2.Chris Rea on the Beach

3. Tiesto - sweet things

Great listening time yesteday morning. Great session. Several more tracks too many to mention.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.