New Amplifier - ULD Extreme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tad,

The image is pretty much scale. I routinely print out the PCB image real size and place actual parts on it and test for fit.

Q9 is probably too close to the output inductor wrapped around the resistor body. I should slip the inductor to the right a bit to afford a little more space between it and Q9. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd be glad to send you gerbers if you are interested in building a protoype channel pair. I would feel much better about doing a group buy if someone has made a successfull build. Should I send gerbers?

"Any room on the pcb for a board mounted fuse holder?"

If we add fuse holders to the amp board we add 1 inch overall to width of the PCB. That potentially means one more inch to the overall depth of the chassis as well. My plan was to put fuses on the power supply board.

What is popular thought here? Put fuses on the amp PCB or on the power supply PCB?

Carl,
I was looking at the V+/V- trace and figured the fuse holder would somehow fit right on top of the trace. Some work of course, but it looked doable. I am by no means expert here so do not think I am being critical. Everything to date is fabulous.

The only reason I bring this up is I usually only have transformer, rectifier, wire, cap, board. That makes the mounting of the fuse holder an ITEM and not just a component. I will go with anything that you all decide.

I think Advanced Circuits has a deal for 33.00 on a couple of proto boards. Let me check it out and I will take you up on the gerbers. I can do a build and some preliminary cursory tests. Nothing clinical. Would that be sufficient information to proceed with. A few scope scans listening tests and component fits.

Thanks for the patience with my rambling. Tad

post 229 shows the regulated power connections +ve & -ve at opposite ends of the PCB.
The main advantage of a regulated supply is the low impedance at the regulator output.
One can only make use of this if the connections from the regulator are very close together, the connections onto the PCB are similarly very close together and the wires between the supply and the demand are very short.

The voltage amp demand traces are all centred in the PCB and would suit a twisted triplet located near the centre of the PCB.

AndrewT said:
post 229 shows the regulated power connections +ve & -ve at opposite ends of the PCB.
The main advantage of a regulated supply is the low impedance at the regulator output.
One can only make use of this if the connections from the regulator are very close together, the connections onto the PCB are similarly very close together and the wires between the supply and the demand are very short.

The voltage amp demand traces are all centred in the PCB and would suit a twisted triplet located near the centre of the PCB.

On the other hand, if the PSU board was stacked on the main board There would only be tiny lengths of wire connecting the two. This would be simpler than redoing the centre board.

I have looked for a good regulated supply and have not found one as yet. Learning lots though.

Terry

Andrew,

I have been searching around the web looking for reference material that would tell me what the VReg trace impedance would amount to. The closest that I have come to an answer (and I have little confidence in my findings) is from this page http://home.comcast.net/~pcb.george/trace.html . A 2 ounce copper traces that is 1.20mm wide and 100mm long equates to a .07 ohm resistance. If that truly is the case, do we have a problem?

AndrewT said:
but the regulator impedance would still be swamped by the hundreds of millimetres between the +ve , power ground and -ve.
Stacking does not help where the spacing is wrong.

Andrew, I was thinking of very small leads connecting to a point between the two 47uF 35V caps for the +ve rail and using the 10R 1W as the lead to connect the -ve rail. Would this be a fix? All Carl would need to do is to put another pad in for the +ve rail.

Terry

Hi,

Much Obliged Sir :worship: !!

have no problem posting the gerbers, schematic and PCB layout files. That always has been the plan. I haven't done that because no one has offered the space to post them. If someone reading this has some space to volunteer please let me know!

I thought you were not interested in posting so only asked you to send it to my mail !!

Could you please explain what exactly do you mean by the "Space Offer" ?? coz if you want to upload the files you can use variety of online services like Rapidshare,meghashare,uploading,filefront,hotfile etc etc etc and post the link here ;) !!

So I guess that problem is solved now ???

Regards.

"if you want to upload the files you can use variety of online services like Rapidshare,meghashare,uploading,filefront,hotfile etc etc etc and post the link here ..."

I would rather put them on a site that is private, not subject to expire and not pounding the viewer with advertisements and distraction. Maybe it is me and evidence that I am getting old and cranky, but I find all of those upload sites to be really annoying ...

Hi,

I would rather put them on a site that is private, not subject to expire and not pounding the viewer with advertisements and distraction. Maybe it is me and evidence that I am getting old and cranky, but I find all of those upload sites to be really annoying ...

Am sorry if I said something wrong ! Yes what you say is to an extent true ! these sites can be bit painful at times !

Hope someone will offer you that much need space !

As for me,Am off to the PCB guy on monday to give the orders for the board :D ! cannot wait to finish it and hear :hphones: !!

Regards.

Files for download

Please note:
- The schematic can be viewed and edited using SPlan 6.0
- The PCB layout can be viewed and edited using Sprint Layout 5.0
- Both products quoted above are from Abacom online: www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/produkte.html
- The PCB should be made using no less than 2 ounce copper!
- This schematic & layout has been offered up to world as courtesy of Carl Huff and the DIYAudio community.

=================================================
GERBERS
SCHEMATIC (PDF)
SCHEMATIC (SPlan)
PCB (Sprint Layout)
PCB (both layers)
PCB (bottom layer only)
PCB (top layer only)
PCB (photo bottom mirrored)
PCB (photo top)
=================================================

Thanks Carl! :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.