New Kartesian very large xMax Woofer

This woofer most definitely has shorting rings, look at the description as well as the inner structure.

Check this:
img_5_23.jpg

Also don't know why you say that the bandwith is limited?
https://www.kartesian-acoustic.com/copie-de-wom185-vki
(no this link does not go to the WOM, but to the Sub, kinda confusing, I know)
View attachment 1248787
Edit: updated graph, they have the wrong one on their website, that is very very confusing.

I'm talking about Sub180_vMS. Not the _VKI drivers.
"We recommend to use this driver to cover the bandwidth 30 – 700Hz (-3dB)"

Reactions: 1 user
Nice nonlinearities but a very weak motor? 72 liter box required for Q 0.707 :unsure:
To much motor strength and you dampen out or limit low end. So there is always a balance to be made. Klement knows what he is trading away here. It is a reasonable choice between output, and enclosure size. You can play with this in Hornresp in the Loudspeaker wizard where you can easily alter the driver parameters via sliders or direct numerical input and see what happens to the response.

Reactions: 3 users
Nice nonlinearities but a very weak motor? 72 liter box required for Q 0.707 :unsure:
To much motor strength and you dampen out or limit low end. So there is always a balance to be made. Klement knows what he is trading away here. It is a reasonable choice between output, and enclosure size. You can play with this in Hornresp in the Loudspeaker wizard where you can easily alter the driver parameters and see what happens to the response.
Se you point, but they probably need a lot more power.
or?
Definitely not more power. Think of a larger cone as a longer lever on a fulcrum lifting a mass. generally a larger cone on a motor is more efficient. So greater SPL for the same power input.

By what measure? I don't know if 72 liters is that reasonable for a 10" driver, considering you could fit many 15" drivers that would require way less excursion
Remember how I mentioned to play with the BL and take notice of how it changes the frequency response of the driver? That is the most intuitive way to get to understand this. The other thing that can make your enclosure size larger or smaller is the stiffness of the suspension. The Cms number. The stiffer it is, the smaller the Vas. But all of these variables are interlinked. A stiffer suspension will raise the system resonance. So peak efficiency will be at a higher frequency. Everything in a driver design is a balancing act.

Of course changing the BL will change the response, but as you said, everything is linterlinked and it makes no sense to observe it in isolation, and the sub would be EQ'd anyway. I'm not questioning Klement's choices at all, I'm just wondering what the intended use case is, and the datasheet seems to actually have an answer. 40 liters sealed and EQ, so I guess the Q is not really relevant but rather the resonance (44Hz), as you said.