New Markaudio Drivers

Here it is

Attachments

• 20190429_112430.jpg
    20190429_112430.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 823
They sound very well, the Isoacoustics was a major upgrade! Not only on the lows, but also mid frequency.

Last weekend I played Melody Gardot "live in Europe" many times over.
Speakers are a blast! Also at higher volumes... perfect.

Also with film, like the "Revenant" amazing. They Suck you right in.

My wife likes them! The enclosure plans are on page 10 I think. See scott's post of the nostromo's!

Think they are about 30cm from the rearwall, slightly toe-in and tilted, fronts are hanging slightly down.

Maby i'll rebuild them with ports facing front. But I'm waiting on scotts repley if thats possible. Other option is a slot on the side of the speaker. I think that will be better. For the iso's I use the pro(studio) stands. The aparta range for home audio are twice the price.. and made from alu... Go woth the cheap ones

...will the nostromo's also do fine with the port on the front or side?

You can, but it won't work as well unless they are in very close proximity to a front wall or a corner. The rear vent position is preferred for improved coupling and avoids audible noise at higher levels from excess air velocity in the duct. This is factored into the design, and why I usually (albeit not invariably, exceptions exist) prefer rear vent locations for relatively small enclosures.

Last edited:
Found the plans in Post #91.

@Kobus, just to confirm, those are Alpair 11MS in the Nostromo large enclosure? How is the bass? Do you supplement with a subwoofer?

Bass is strong enough for my taste. Reaches down enough. I di put in a little baf, sligjtly alterimg the originall design from Scott. If you want to use a sub, you can probably better seal the cabinets. But you'll be amazed of the bass and especially bass quality. They do bass better then my former xtz monitors wich had a seas excel 6,5 inch woofer. Maby not as low, but with much more detail.

You can, but it won't work as well unless they are in very close proximity to a front wall or a corner. The rear vent position is preferred for improved coupling and avoids audible noise at higher levels from excess air velocity in the duct. This is factored into the design, and why I usually (albeit not invariably, exceptions exist) prefer rear vent locations for relatively small enclosures.

Thanx Scott!

My other hobby is photography where there is a great demand for mimicking different film stock of the past from kodak, Fujifilm ect.. I've often wondered with the increased use of DSP if we would see something similar to the film mimicking but in the audio world. People taking measurements of classic speakers then building profiles then shared with others.

For the same reason that doing it with speakers is futile and silly, no.
Of you want the look of film shoot film. It’s not hard or costly. And you get much superior results.
There are actually quite a few sensory and physical parallels from full range speakers to film photography.

A few have commented (including me) on what seems like audible distortion on these newer smaller units. Does anyone know why, can this be seen tested somehow? Can anyone else comment on this?

I in general love the Mark Audio drivers, and still want to continue to use them, and wondering if a WAW set up with the A7ms would reduce this low level output and in doing so reduce the distortion. The driver really does have a holographic soundstage.

Is there really no mobile app for all this? As for me, the improvement mobile application and development does not stand still and this must appear. After all, for each task there are already a sports app, a home app, a medical app, and much more. Is it really so difficult to wait for the appearance of this? I think that our industry and the market will move forward in order to improve.

A few have commented (including me) on what seems like audible distortion on these newer smaller units. Does anyone know why, can this be seen tested somehow? Can anyone else comment on this?

I in general love the Mark Audio drivers, and still want to continue to use them, and wondering if a WAW set up with the A7ms would reduce this low level output and in doing so reduce the distortion. The driver really does have a holographic soundstage.

Yes, distortion can be measured......

Is this "audible distortion" also present at low volume levels or does it rise as you turn it up? Disregarding the official published response graph, could the distortion just be the result of a tipped up frequency response? Perhaps, try a filter (start .5 mH>> + 5r ->>) to flatten it.