• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Novar dilemma B9E vs B9D

I just got in my $0.95 socket samples from Antique Electronic Supply.

Socket - 9 Pin, Ceramic, Magnoval, bottom or top mount | Antique Electronic Supply

These are labeled Magnoval, but someone commented below them that Magnoval tubes don't fit them, and that they were Novar instead.

Well, Magnoval tubes don't fit, but Novar tubes just fall out of the sockets.
Probably why they are priced at $0.95.

I tried removing some socket pins to tighten them, but they are rather tight fitting. And hard to get them to stay in the socket when re-inserted.

I then tried a tiny screw driver to tighten the pins while in the socket. This can work, but after the 1st pass around the socket I found a couple that were still loose on Novar pins. I re-worked those pins again and was successful.
The pin sides are two half circles, and you have to miss-align the halves to get them to tighten up sufficiently. So this is do-able, but frustrating. Meticulously test them pin by pin or you will end up with flaky sockets. Rather time consuming.

If one could order a bag of socket pins for a ceramic Compactron socket, then these would be relatively easy to fix, by destructively removing the "Magnoval" pins (twist off the back socket pin side).

----------------------------------------------------

I notice that Radio Daze is out of stock on those Cinch Novar sockets.
Cinch 9 Pin "Novar" Socket Under Chassis Style (Item: NOS-SKT-53) - Radio Daze LLC

Need to find a source for Compactron socket pins (for ceramic style sockets)!!

I haven't seen anything like that available. I have my doubts whether solder will stick well to Novar tube pins (oxidized surface).

I have seen 1 mm socket pins that will fit onto Novar pins (pic 1 below). These were probably for RS-232 connectors. Could make a PC mount socket with them, but they offer no support against bending with a miss-aligned tube insertion.

These pins do work well, with some heat shrink tubing over them, for test leads with my curve tracer.

Searching Ebay for a socket type that shouldn't exist (strictly speaking), a 9 pin Compactron, I found an even rarer bird. A PC mount Novar (maybe) socket.
4 for $13 + $5 shpg. (pic 2)
These have no mounting tabs or rings. Nowhere does the ad mention Novar, but it says it fits:
"6JB6, 6JG6, 6JE6C, 6KG6, 6KV6, 6LQ6, 437A, etc. These are for PC board mounting."

Mostly Novar tubes listed, but 6KG6 is Magnoval. A message to the seller might clear things up.

The best solution I can see is to find some Compactron socket pins that will fit the available "Magnoval" sockets.

Attachments

• Novar_1mmSock_Pins.jpg
    Novar_1mmSock_Pins.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Novar_PCmount.jpg
    Novar_PCmount.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I just got some samples in of the "Novar - PC mount" sockets (pic below), and they don't fit Novar or Magnoval, as usual. The Novar tube slides in with no friction, but at least no loose wiggle room like the Magnoval sockets. Again, they can be fixed by tightening the pins with a tiny screwdriver, very annoying though.

I've got one more "maybe Novar" socket coming to try out.

Attachments

• Novar_PCmount.jpg
    Novar_PCmount.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
The ceramic ones I got from Tube Depot seem to be ‘ok’ with 6LR8’s in them. Not the tightest fit in the world but they don’t just fall out. Probably shouldn’t mount upside down or horizontally, though, if you’re using them on stage.

Yes, these work much better than any Chinese ones, very well made and still in production. They hold Novar tubes pretty good, just right from my feel. I ordered a bag of them from RF Parts, they are probably available from many sources that carry Svetlana.

NovarSocket.jpg

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I need to socket a Novar tube PCB, but B9E sockets are rare and very pricey.

However B9D Magnoval is in production and available very cheap.

These two bases have identical circle diameters pin center to pin center of 17.45 mm.

But the pins diameters differ by about .26 mm. Novar are 1.02 and Magnoval is 1.27 mm.

I'm thinking I should be able to plug a Novar tube into a Magnoval socket, there should be enough closure in the springs to make contact no? its only .26 mm short.

As long as I never plug a Magnoval tube into it which would then stretch out the springs making the socket too loose for Novar.

For Novar tubes do fellow DIY'ers get good enough contact using the widely available B9D sockets?
I had a similar situation a long time ago, no chance of finding the correct socket, so I inserted thin wire strands before inserting the tube. Then I cut the wires just very close to the socket hole. Cheap and nasty, but it did the job.