OPA4134 x TL074 - Sound Differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"...........I am told the tl07x does not like any capacitance on it's output. It also has a lowish output current........."

Has anyone used a class A biased external transistor current booster with a TL072 front end ? Might be interesting to see how it sounds as the TL072 is basically a decent opamp . Will it bring it up to the level of ( or close to ) exotic opamps ?

Cheers.

Re: Try the AD-7xx series...

dpuopolo said:
Also very good is TI's own upgrade for the TLO's, the TLE, Excalibur series of opamps. They are the TLE2071, 72 and 74. They are VERY reasonably priced.

All of these come in the DIP package.

Also check out TI's other replacement, the TLC072/TLC074.
CMOS opamp, a bit faster, bit quieter than TL07x, but only rated up to 16V. Perfect for 9V or 12V battery powered kit.

I've found the TL07x series really don't like driving loads less than 2K, especially when supplies are lower than +/-15V. I measured distortion and it shoots up when load drops <2K.

-Len.

More details needed here. Circuit diagram, photos, anything. What exactly are you doing with it?

In any case you need to be aware that TL07x are no load driving kings. Nothing under a few kOhms of load if you can help it, 10k up preferred. (Load includes feedback network!) They are probably best used in inverting amplifiers, too - common-mode linearity is lousy and input impedance linearity is about as bad as old FET input OPs get, while transfer linearity is quite good. They're not low-noise kings anyway. And don't you dare to get too close to the negative rail with your input, or else the output will invert. At least their quiescent current is low, and as in any FET OP, input bias current is negligible.
All that being said, I don't see too many uses for TL07xs these days. They might still be useful for a line-level Baxandall tone control like this one.

Oh, and I hope you are aware that you just resurrected a 6-year-old thread?

Thanks for your answer Sgrossklass

I am using this chip in 3way active cross-overs ...

I connected negative to input RC jack my sound is now ok and verygood ....

I heard that opa 4132 is more open than it was TL074 ?

opa 4132 is 8Mhz

TL074 is 3 MHz

Which is better and which one to use for cross-active sound better and more natural

Have?

thanks -afshin

I would definitely run the TL07X's at a higher voltage and see if that clears up any sound clarity issues.

At only a +/-7V supply your voltage swing won't be much more than about 5-6Vpeak.
You may have been slightly starting to clip or saturate the output stage depending on what your next stages impedance is, as mentioned.

The TL07x's are IMHO still great chips But if I had the choice to use a newer better one I would try it.
But remember sometimes when you use an opamp that has a higher bandwidth you also invite the chance of High frequency instability and will have to add a compensation capacitor in order to keep it from oscillating.

Lately I have been messing with a current buffered amplifier design using the TL072 and this is exactly the case when I had swapped it for a LME49860.
There were oscillations on the top peaks of the waveform.
I can't tell you what it sounded like as I was only using my scope when I noticed it.

However it did drive a speaker nicely but I didn't do a listening test.

I have used the TL07x's for years and still do but I can say that they have a rather limited voltage swing when run only from a 15v supply.
Much less than I had realized as I rarely run any opamp project on less than +/-15V.

I only happened to notice this because of a recent guitar effect project that I have started on and one of the requirements was it had to run on a 9v battery.
On my own devices I always ran two batteries.

The TLC07x opamps do look very good on the scope.
But they too are limited by the power supply voltage as well.

And, Yes, I did burn one out because I had not realized that their maximum rating is only 16V.......Oppps there goes one perfectly working chip!!
I don't normally use the TLC series but I read good things on the spec sheet and overlooked their supply rating by mistake.

I don't have any OPA4132's but I have some 2134's and they are very nice and I also have their latest the OPA1664's and they might be something you might want to have a look at.
I have not tried them yet as they are in a SOIC package and I have to make an adapter board for them.

Another high quality quad opamp is the LME49740 and it comes in a PDIP as well.

Sorry, I haven't done any listening tests with any of these yet but I will be soon.
But even with just the scope I was quite impressed at what I saw compared to the TL07x's and they although old are no slouch!!

And very much more so impressed with the LME49xxx series.
Very very low noise and much much less Vos (offset Voltage) than the ole' TL07x's!!

I have a Friend that put the LME49860's in his Asus STX sound card and he said the difference was Night and Day!!!
Much much clearer than it was and it is the card to have.
I think they used 2132's in it, I am not sure.
I will have to ask him what the numbers where.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
Thanks very much for Jer response , but I sound TL07x I love the feeling of a sound
Analogue in the 80s and 90s that got me ... I do not like the sound of many modern
I'm 43 years young and I have memories ...
If you are not a special effects and a sound chip that is completely natural and without
Do you know grateful I am exaggerating a background analog to tell me.
Thank you. afshin

I am with you on that one!!!
I am a pure analog buff myself at 50!!

The late 70's to the 80's was a very special era, and that was what set the bar for today's modern clean and powerful sounds!!
A Very special time indeed!!!
I am so glad to have been able to experience it, More than one can imagine!!!

I still have a fully analog multi-track recording system and and I swear by it.
I only use digital when I have to because it exists.
I wasn't completely satisfied with it when it came out and still don't to this day.

Although 24bit at 96khz or better yet 192Khz is very hard to beat.

The 44/48khz sample rates just don't cut it for me and is the very reason I have not bought one of those nice 24 channel hard disk recorders from Tascam since they are only a fraction of the cost of my analog machine that I wouldn't trade if it was the end of the world!!!

I don't normally critique the sound of opamps but I can usually tell if it is a JRC45xx type.
I was quite appalled all throughout the 80's and 90's that the TL07x's weren't used as much as they should have been especially in the professional equipment I have bought or thought about buying.
If it used TL07x's I surely would buy it and there are many that I didn't buy just because they used the JRC's.

It wasn't until the mid to late 90's they upped their game and started producing some decent opamps like the JRC4560's.

My Mackie 32-8 Mixer has about 275 of them in it and it sounds great as it won the innovation product of the year award in 1994 when it first came out and it is when I got mine that very same year

Now 20years old it still sounds great and is as noiseless as the day I got it.

My noise floor is about -118db or so even with that many opamps in it!

I had replace all of the opamps in my very first mixer (Fostex454) with TL072's and it gave the Mackie board a good run for its money!!

I have always used the TL07/8x's in all of my projects since those days and it has only been until the last few months have I had the chance to try some of these newer chips that have phenomenal specs.

So I haven't had the chance to listen to them yet.

Mainly because I don't have any decent speakers anymore and that is First on my things to do next list because of a recording project I have going on right now.
However I did acquire some pretty decent headphone to listen through though, due to the project, and that helps.

But I still require the sound to be completely transparent with no coloration what-so-ever!!!

I am quite familiar with the with the Tl07x's, Try raising the voltage and see if that helps.
It would be good to know your findings, so keep us posted!!

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
I have not tried any of the TLE series yet But maybe once a very long time ago, some say that they are okay.
The specs look very good and I will have to give them another look sometime.

The TLC's are nice but they have a maximum supply voltage of 16V and I blew one up recently because I was not aware of this.

I have not tried the TL05x's as they weren't commonly available.
The spec sheet looks good but it is mentioned in it that the TLE's are better choice as well.

As Quoted from the spec sheet~

"The TL05x family was designed to offer higher precision and better ac response than the TL08x, with the low noise floor of the TL07x.
Designers requiring significantly faster ac response or ensured lower noise should
consider the Excalibur TLE208x and TLE207x families of BiFET operational amplifiers."

The TLO74 is the same as the TL072 only it is a Quad opamp rather than a Dual opamp.
I have used more TL074 than I have the duals.
The only issue I have with them is that if you blow one opamp out it renders the whole chip useless with 3 good opamps on it.

They have worked so well for me in the past I find it hard for me to change to anything else for the cost.
I still consider them for my Guitar effects and typical all around use.
For my newest stuff I am getting more into the latest nicer opamps od the LME49xxx's however they do come in at 10X the cost at about $1 to $1.75 per opamp stage.

I have been weighing out price per performance lately and I find it very hard to beat the ole' NE5532's.
The NJM2068 looks like a very good contender as well with 3db lower noise, But at a lower slew rate at about 6V/us.

Here is what I have found so far,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/220594-op-amp-question.html#post3620786

Last edited:
I've just recently bought 4 pieces TLE2074 And 4 piece OPA4134 Yet not I receive the invitation.

I'm sorry but the research that I bought ... I think so TL0xx
I used to ... I love the sound JFET and receive my voice is a bit lifeless FET I receive the invitation performance products to see how it should do it.
Maybe my report!

Thanks for your time. Afshin:)

Very Cool, Thanks for the report!!

I think I remember trying the TLE2074 at one time a long long time ago and I don't remember that it moved me in any way, Therefore I have always stuck with the TL07x's.

I just got some LME49720's that were on back order for many many months of waiting! So, I haven't tried them yet.
But, I do like the LME49860 a lot as well. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.