Panasonic receiver/amp crackling

Hi everyone-

Before I dump this Panasonic SA-XR25 I thought I hit you up for suggestions.

It’s at least 10 years old and has served me well. I decided to hook it up after having it sit for a few years. 3 fronts and subwoofer crackle like crazy. If I play around (on/off, switch audio mode), it sometimes will stop and perform fine. But I’m going through all that.

Here are some pictures of the inside. I did notice something which what I’m pointing at. Also noticed the fan no longer runs.

Dump it?

790FD0E2-1494-46C0-A351-9BD210AF236C.jpg

ACB89D5F-DE0A-4B0B-A865-6CAD52FD567E.jpg

It looks like the power amplifier board is grounded via its mounting screws. I would loosen and retighten those just in case. Same might be true for the input board (?) on top of it.

BTW, I spot an AK4114 SPDIF receiver complete with two crystals for both 44.1 and 48 kHz multiples - they were not skimping on this one!

If you don’t mind, take a look at the second picture. Towards the right there is a grey plate with ‘A1135’ (or something close to that). Right above it, in between the two round thingies (no idea what they are 😕) you’ll see some brown stuff that almost looks like it leaked from somewhere. Is that a concern or part of the build?

Thanks again!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The brown stuff is compound applied during production to prevent components in a SMPS from vibrating. Done in a hastely (time = money) manner. The thingies ar regular capacitors.
If they leak, the electrolyte is way more corrosive.
Stay with #2 and #4.

Before I dump this Panasonic SA-XR25 I thought I hit you up for suggestions.

You may find this interesting ... Bad Glue

Apparently there was a run of mounting paste, used in the soldering process, that starts out tan or yellowish colour but ages down to a hard brown glue that actually turns conductive and can cause all kinds of havoc in a circuit.

Whenever I've seen it, I always take a tiny screwdriver and gently scrape it off the boards.

Aside from that... a really good cleaning of your controls and switches, blow the dust out, maybe check the drive voltage on that fan and then see what you've got and decide from there.