Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@mhenschel, @EdGr. Sure, sure... did you miss the point about "time"?

Even retired, if finding an LP is gonna take me two hours, I might as well buy another copy.

And, yes, I did get my books in a spread sheet.... PITA.... that was about 800 or so... it taught me a lesson... I've thought about doing it like a radio station, instead of going alphabetical and/or per genre, they just stick a number on the record, file it in a database and then put it up on a shelf. If you're looking for an LP, you don't go to the shelves, you go to the database.

It's actually much easier.

Half my LPs used to be alphabetical... that bunch is today sort of like in three sections: rock, jazz and classical. But within that, the A, B, Cs might follow the J, K, L.... and the M's might be split.

I just don't have the time nor the inclination of taking down thousands of LPs, reshuffling them, entering them into a spreadsheet and then putting them back on the shelves. I'm just not that anal retentive.

It's bad enough like the time I wanted to buy a Parasound Z tuner... so I looked in the closet and. lo and behold!, I already had two of them... the same model! Woops!

Or the three copies of Thelonius Monk's Straight No Chaser... Which, BTW, I got no real clue where they're at.

Anyhow, so I was gonna listen, stereo all warmed up, and then my wife was in our bedroom doing whatever she does in her closet and she had the big Marantz and ADSs cranking some good tunes. So, I wasn't about to bother her...

Note... computers... @mhenschel are you telling ME about computers? Would that be an ARM chip set perhaps? If I could use an ARM R core with a DMA to do it ( using Ubuntu or CentOS ) for me I might write the program.... otherwise, it's a manual task.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The number of times I've pulled a record out only to find a 2nd or even 3rd copy elsewhere in my collection is too high! But, it is a good opportunity to take the best condition disc, sleeve and cover and combine them! Then pass along the others for a buck at a yard sale.

Ahem! I NEVER sell.

Yard sales are an opportunity to buy stuff, not sell stuff.

There's a reason why my Thelonious Monk LPs are in such good shape... when I was buying them, we'd do it at the Wherehouse... we'd spend about an hour in there... needless to say, we used to inhale before going down to buy records. So, I used to buy what I liked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok. Absolutely no promises, but Christmas may be a possibility.

Do not go looking for them for at least a week or more. Heck, they won’t even leave my house until Monday...

Don’t ask for updates. When they hit the store and are ready to sell somebody, probably Jason, will make an announcement.

:)

This is 50 kits, I’m out of boards awaiting restock. (With no specific date known.)

IMG_2937.jpeg

Reactions: 24 users
Pfft... I just bought a brand new MoFi Dire Straits Brothers At Arms... and a brand new pressing of Queen A Night At The Opera... I know I have those LPs but I'm not about to go through 40++ linear feet of LPs to find them... so I bought them at the Audio Salon down the road... Life is too short.

Stereo warming up...
Is this the "Master Recording" with 2 x Records cut at 45 o/min ?
I have yet to try out those. Maybe during the Christmas I will get a SRV to try out or "Brothers In Arms" as it is "at sale" in the moment :)
Maybe MoFi only makes those 45 12" records. So far the only ones I have seen for sale from MoFi.

Well, the 45 RPM and the 180g is just a little part of it. The main thing is always the recording, the mix, and the mastering.

If that is already destroyed with a thin, flat, bass-shy and midrange shouty master source: All full range musical goodness is simply lost forever. Forever.

tonyEE - Sort the albums alphabetically by artist. You can then do a binary search (just like computers). ;)
Ed
I've had mine sorted where I can easily find them only to have the lady of the house deciding to move furniture removing them and returning the LP's in no particular order. Then it becomes too much trouble to sort them again if one has a lot of them. But you are right. Much better to have the listed by artist.

OK, more subjective observations...
The Pearl 3 as configured now sounds a bit better than my re-capped Threshold FET Ten/PE phono preamp and larger power supply I built for it. A bit more detail, a little more emphasis in the bass frequencies, more gain which my cartridge likes.
So, probably not surprising that a new design with new production components might sound better than something 35 years old, but the Threshold is still a pretty special preamp.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Pearl 3 Power Supply Parts Kit Group Buy Announcement

For those of you planning to order a Pearl 3 kit, I'm offering a group buy for a power supply parts kit to help your build.

I don't know exactly when the Pearl 3 kits will be available in the store, so I took a guess on the date for the Group Buy. See the thread linked below and add your name if interested.

For clarity - the kit you see in Post #985 contains the Pearl 3 PCB's, Power Supply PCB, and Pearl 3 board stuffings. This group buy is for the power supply board stuffings including transformer, resistors, caps, bridges, LEDs, and terminal blocks. This power supply works for 120VAC and 240VAC.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/gb-pearl-3-phono-crcrc-power-supply-parts-kit.406461/

Attachments

• Pearl 3 PSU Group Buy Kit-01a.jpg
    Pearl 3 PSU Group Buy Kit-01a.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Call me lazy, but can't be bothered with 45rpm records anymore. Same with 180-200 grams, I simply don't hear the difference 🙉.

It's all in the groove noise. The dynamic range of the 45 rpm is greater so the noise level is lower.

But you do need a system built around the idea of lowering the noise level instead of just playing louder. Bringing the noise level down has been a Holy Grail of mine for quite a few years.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is this the "Master Recording" with 2 x Records cut at 45 o/min ?
I have yet to try out those. Maybe during the Christmas I will get a SRV to try out or "Brothers In Arms" as it is "at sale" in the moment :)
Maybe MoFi only makes those 45 12" records. So far the only ones I have seen for sale from MoFi.

Yep, well, it is.... great... that's a surprise... but at $60, well, it's a good surprise.

Well,

I have the PCB's from Burning Amp and more than enough parts, including 8 2Sk170 BL's that clock in at 6.7ma Idss each. I am estimating that these jfets will settle in at near 3ma each as installed in the Pearl 3.

The op-amp will be a OPA1656. I do not see much advantage for a socket to roll op-amps.

Warming up the soldering tool to begin stuffing.

Thanks DT

Reactions: 2 users