Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

I never noted a problem with temperature in my working Pearl 2, nor in the Minnie-Pearl. I have seen issues using JFET's in ULN amplifiers with 8 paralleled BF862's.

Erno Borbely had a chart from the 2sk170 datasheet which illustrated the optimal current for thermal stability -- that must have been a generation ago. (Borbely, JFETs the New Frontier Part 1). Not going to help us here.

You could use 3M copper tape to bind the 4 JFETs, attach to a small mass which will lend some hysteresis to the change in temperature.

(If you have ever made a DIY logarithmic amplifier, you probably used an NTC resistor to compensate for temperature changes)

Attachments

• 2sk170 temco.png
    2sk170 temco.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 users
Hello All,

Sure the JFET's are temp sensitive, perhaps even the cascode transistors as well.

Building and measuring are all part of the learning and fun.

A while back I was testing JFET's with a Keysight B2912A SMU (a power supply that also measures Amps down to multiple digits) I learned that IDSS would settle over several 10's of seconds, as in having a warm up interval. Some JFET's would settle higher over time and some the current would drift lower. If I remember correctly the J74 and K170 were examples. The data is on the other computer.

Even a breath of air would effect the measured current. I ended up putting the Test Jig inside a steel project box on the carpeted floor.

I noticed in the photo of the Pearl 3 that the JFET's were not surface mount but TO92's.

Thanks DT

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can the Pearl 3 SE and balanced outputs be driven concurrently?

Can they be plugged in but the line stages off?

This is my use case:

One single super duper turntable driving a single Pearl 3.
Pearl 3 SE output to an SE line stage, SE amp and speakers.
Pearl 3 Bal output to a Bal line stage, Bal amp and speakers.

I'd rather leave the Pearl outputs plugged in, not having to reach over when I want to switch system configuration.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@wayne

Hmmm... I've been trying to figure an elegant way to switch between single-ended and balanced inputs on a BA2018 preamp because I eventually hope to run a balanced-output DAC and a Pearl (original) phono stage into it.

Maybe I should just try the Pearl 3 and simplify the preamp build... [sigh]

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A few photos for fun

IMG_2383.jpeg

PCB overview. C16 (center low) is normally not stuffed, and C2 (lower left) I don't have any on hand so it’s in the order queue.

I think the best part of this design is it does not take any strange, hard-to-find capacitors in the RIAA. They are all 0.1uF, with 1.0uF as interstage capaictors, and a couple of pF caps to round out the mix. You want to use fancy caps? Go ahead, they might be a bit funky to mount, but what the heck… it’s DIY! Want an (IMO) better idea than blindly throwing money at boutique parts? Buy a Meag328 component tester and a bag full of the 0.1uF caps, and measure & match them channel to channel, and on exact value. Get your RIAA perfect.

😎

IMG_2384.jpeg

Toshiba 2SK209GR input Jfets. Yep, they are small. They are also in-production new Toshiba, quiet, perfect for the circuit and about $0.25/ea, not approximately $8.00-10.00/ea…
Yes, this would be a perfect application to use Toshiba 2SK170, if you have them. If not, don’t worry about it. :)

(If you're still terrified about soldering surface mount, these are genuine - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2533809687...uid=3BXt12BJT3G&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_2385.jpeg

This is OPA1656. You can use a DIP-8 dual opamp instead of the SMD in this position. The decoupling SMD capacitors are ceramic 1uF in 0805 size. I’m using film 0.47uF in the C21, C22 positions because I had them on hand. The silk is marked for electrolytic 220uF/25V, But this is an extremely non-critical value.

IMG_2386.jpeg

This is the DRV135 balanced line driver IC. They are SMD only. Capacitors are the same 0805 1uF ceramic as in the other opamp position.

If you don’t need/want XLR output you may leave this empty.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 10 users
But when you parallel JFETs you want then closely matched?
Then you need a batch of 2SK209GR to select from?
I can see that RS has a good price on 3000 pcs......but that sums up.....even that they are cheap.....
Could be fun to build even that I don't have a turntable......

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A few more photos to help the early builders -

IMG_2387.jpeg

The TTA004 and TTC004 face their names on the silkscreen. Pinout is marked as well.

IMG_2389.jpeg

The jumper is installed here. Open for high gain (MC) closed for low gain (MM).

IMG_2388.jpeg

The unmarked hole in the center of the PCB is the main signal ground, attach to the turntable ground post on the chassis.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users