pg. 208 Stereophile mag Oct 2007 Industry Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nelson Pass said:
Easier than that, even. The nice people at National sent me some
a couple months ago.

Well, don't keep us in suspense -- how did they sound?

I know a lot of DIY'ers have been reporting good results by replacing one op-amp or another with these op-amps. But the real question is whether they sounded better than your discrete circuits. In other words, is your next preamp going to use these parts because you can't build a better sounding circuit than National can?

stoolpigeon said:
Charles, are you using IC's in any of your commercial designs?

Yes. All of the control microprocessors are IC's. All of the FPGA's are IC's. All of the DAC's are IC's. All of the FET switches are IC's. All of our video amplifiers have been made using (zero feedback) IC's. All of the PLL's are IC's. All of the logic gates are IC's.

As far as the analog audio circuitry goes, we use IC's in our two least expensive products. These are not op-amps, but rather a strange adaptation of an Analog Devices IC. By using two of them in a balanced configuration in a way that they were never intended to be used, we are able to use them with zero feedback. Their internal circuitry is fairly close to what we were using at that time.

We used them to save money. All of our other products are fully discrete.

We also compared them to the real thing (our discrete circuit of that time that was very similar, but made with discrete parts, metal film resistors, the ability to adjust all circuit values and bias currents for best sonic performance, et cetera). And guess what? The IC's didn't sound as good as our discrete circuit. Not really much of a surprise...

Oh, and by the way, even these products use our own discrete, zero-feedback power supply regulators.

Power supply regulators are critically important to getting good sound. For example, if you ever read a review of a "tube" preamp that has an "edge" or "glare" or "solid-state sound", you can pretty much guarantee that it is because the power supply regulators are based on high feedback IC regulators.

Re: Coal was used to construct microphone cartridges into the early days

destroyer X said:
Coal was used to construct microphone cartridges into the early days. They were used till the second world war.

Actually, it was carbon granules, not coal. And they were used well into the '80s in this country. All of the Western Electric (Bell Systems) telephones had carbon microphones. And by the way, those are still the best telephones ever made.

Charles Hansen said:
Nelson, in the past there were a few very expensive IC's that had thin-film laser-trimmed resistors. These are known as hybrid circuits. Very few are made these days, and certainly none that I know of for audio use.

Then why not make your own? Get the best of both words. You can do your own design with discrete components and get the advantage of very short circuit paths and a very small geometry.

Check these guys out. They say they specialize in short to medium length production runs and that initial start up costs are minimal.

In addition to circuit size and weight reductions over standard PC board packaging, a custom thick-film hybrid circuit simplifies assembly. Improvements in circuit performances are achieved by shortened circuit paths and closer spacing that yield reduced noise pickup, enhanced thermal coupling, and improved stability.

The hybrid circuit is a real and practical method to combine, in a single package, digital, analog, and even optical functions.

Flexibility for design changes and modifications are other real considerations in making your choice. Hybrids lend themselves to laser active-trimming of resistors to achieve precise circuit performance. With fewer interconnects and solder connections, improved operational reliability is inherent to the hybrid circuit.

Just think. You could be the first in this industry (that I'm aware of) to do this and not only could you pooh-pooh those who are using monolithic integrated circuits, you could also pooh-pooh those who are using traditional discrete circuits. :D

Hybrid Circuits, Inc.

se

Re: Coal was used to construct microphone cartridges into the early days

Bonsai said:
Pity then that some people feel compelled to put in writing views that are quite frankly completely erroneous.

Please feel free to point out the errors in my views.

Bonsai said:
Pity also that John Atkinson printed it as well

Well, at least he gave you all something to talk (argue?) about!

Steve Eddy said:
Then why not make your own? Get the best of both words. You can do your own design with discrete components and get the advantage of very short circuit paths and a very small geometry.

Interesting idea. I have no idea what the costs involved are.

But there is at least one deal-breaker for me here. Check out their web page:

http://www.hybridcircuits.com/capable.shtml

Please note "Thick Film Print -- Resistors". Ever listened to those? Not very good...

Charles, thank you for such a detailed answer. It seems you and many others are not fans of IC's for analog stages.

Can I just ask then, regarding DA converters which presumably must have an analog stage, have you thought of a discrete approach?

By the way, what is your local time?

Charles Hansen said:
You're probably right Bob. How can we unedjumacated flim-flam artists hope to compete with the geniuses at the IC design firms?

The answer is "marketing". And if you can do your marketing for free via a letter to the editor of Stereophile, so much the better!

Sure, the engineers reading it might have to go running for their barf bag. But engineers are notoriously cheap anyway. They aren't the target audience.

Charles Hansen said:
Interesting idea. I have no idea what the costs involved are.

Give 'em a call next week and talk to someone there. I'm sure they should be able to give you some kind of ballpark estimate.

But there is at least one deal-breaker for me here. Check out their web page:

http://www.hybridcircuits.com/capable.shtml

Please note "Thick Film Print -- Resistors". Ever listened to those? Not very good...

That's only if you want them to print your resistors onto the substrate. That's not what you're limited to. You can also use surface mount devices.

hybrid_hor.jpg

se

andy_c said:
The answer is "marketing". And if you can do your marketing for free via a letter to the editor of Stereophile, so much the better!

Sure, the engineers reading it might have to go running for their barf bag. But engineers are notoriously cheap anyway. They aren't the target audience.

Andy, you only live 20 minutes from our factory. I have invited you several times to come up and listen to what we do. Please feel free to bring whatever op-amp based products you'd care to, and we will be glad to do some listening comparisons and see what you think.

And if you think Atkinson's article was spot-on, you can live happily ever after with the Crown IC-150 preamp. Measures darn near perfect...

SY said:
Charles, there are several fundamentally different types of thick film resistor. Which is the sort that you're trashing? What examples of them have you tried and for what purpose?

As far as I know, all of the thick-film SMT resistors are made with ruthenium oxide using a silk-screen like process.

When we first had the need to use SMT resistors, I got about a half-dozen major brands of thick-film resistors and about a half-dozen major brands of thin-film (ie, metal film) resistors. Of the latter, some were nichrome and some were tantalum nitride. (I was trying to cover all the bases.)

While there were some minor differences in the thin-film resistors, all of the thick-film resistors I tried sounded pretty much the same. Nothing offensive -- no glare, no edge, no grit. But at the same time, nothing to write home about -- no resolution, no inner detail, no harmonic complexity.

I figure about the only place where it would make sense to use them (besides for non-audio purposes) is if you were going to make $300 integrated amp that would be used with a really cheap, nasty sounding CD (or DVD) player. Then those resistors would tend to mask the sins of the source. But that's not the kind of gear that I design.

The way I listened to them was to make a series-shunt attenuator that could be placed between a CD player and a power amp (in place of a preamp). This allowed me to listen to the resistors in both series and shunt applications in one fell swoop.

Since then I have found a much better sounding SMT resistor. It is a bulk-foil type from Vishay. Of course it is horrendously expensive and only available in a limited range of values.

For some reason, I don't think that is what National is using in their new op-amps....

Steve Eddy said:
Then do your own layout.

If the picture you posted is representative of a hybrid circuit, I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of using one compared to just using SMT parts on a good PCB substrate.

I seem to recall that hybrid circuits are usually built on an aluminum oxide substrate. I suppose that this would have better thermal conductivity than a PCB. But I would have to wonder about how good it sounded. In my experience, low Dk (dielectric constant) is important for a good sounding PCB material. But aluminum oxide is pretty poor in that regard.

Thick film SMTs, yes, but hybrids can use other technologies. There are simple resistive inks (similar to those used in potentiometer manufacture), thermoplastics, and fusible glasses with varying metallurgies (gold, platinum, palladium...). It might be worth exploring the options if you think that the presence of even a good-sounding chip won't turn off potential customers.

Charles Hansen said:
If the picture you posted is representative of a hybrid circuit, I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of using one compared to just using SMT parts on a good PCB substrate.

You're not going to be able to use transistor dice on a typical SMT PCB for one.

I seem to recall that hybrid circuits are usually built on an aluminum oxide substrate. I suppose that this would have better thermal conductivity than a PCB. But I would have to wonder about how good it sounded. In my experience, low Dk (dielectric constant) is important for a good sounding PCB material. But aluminum oxide is pretty poor in that regard.

Just as you're not limited to using thick film resistors, you're not limited to AlO for your substrate.

Anyway, just suggesting an alternative for you. Do what you wish.

se

I doubt that you are missing anything Charles. These people think that we don't know or hardly ever use IC's. I took my first course in IC design in 1967. I have 41 year old linear IC's in my lab along with thousands of other IC's of all kinds and types. But then, how come I don't like to use linear IC's for everything that I do? Maybe, because when I try them, I find that discrete sounds better. What a concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.