Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

Hi, if your Software works in linux with pulseaudio output (or by using the alsa "pulse" device which redirects to pulseaudio) it should be no problem because pulseaudio crossover rack makes itself the default output device.

If you need to use software that only runs on windows you will need to setup a way to send audio to the linux PC from windows, for example with spdif and a soundcard with spdif input on the linux PC. You the need to setup a pulseaudio loopback module.

Hi, if your Software works in linux with pulseaudio output (or by using the alsa "pulse" device which redirects to pulseaudio) it should be no problem because pulseaudio crossover rack makes itself the default output device.

If you need to use software that only runs on windows you will need to setup a way to send audio to the linux PC from windows, for example with spdif and a soundcard with spdif input on the linux PC. You the need to setup a pulseaudio loopback module.
Clear, that's what I thought. Could you please share how do you do it? Because you do measurements, don't you?

Up to now I used ARTA which runs fine with wine and pulseaudio.

I plan to use REW in the future, once I tested that I will try to summarize my experience here.
I see!! So what basically you do is to install measurement software (this one which is Windows dedicated) via Wine. Nex Wine is outputting test signal to the Xover Pulseaudio "output/sink". Then you take microphone some USB card and return signal to Wine instance of the testing software, correct? In your case it's Arta but this can be same done with any (Wine compatible/installable) Windows speaker testing software. Right?

No I didnt, because for my future development also stepped sine measurements with distortion and intermodulation plots over the frequency will become important. So REW will be the way to go probably.

All in all I cannot say definitely because atm. I'm developing a modular DAC system/USB soundcard with up to 14 channels, integrated volume control etc. and that is taking up a lot of my free time. Once all the electronics are sorted I will firstly come back to PaXoverNG and then speakers are in order.

Hello @Tfive - today I tried to install crossove on another machine and expariance unexpacted problem (please see 1st screenshot). When I try command {sudo apt-get update --allow-insecure-repositories} doesnt help much (please see 2nd screenshot) ANy help here, please.
General problem the repo is considered as insecure

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-01-15 15-50-09.png
    Screenshot at 2022-01-15 15-50-09.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot at 2022-01-15 15-49-08.png
    Screenshot at 2022-01-15 15-49-08.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
Are you sure your system date is set correctly? The certificate of my webserver is not expired. That's a lie :D
It is. To my even bigger surprise all went well when I try to install on Ununtu 20.04 last night. But with the Ubuntu soft is not stabile. Even I applied "Pulseaudio 13.99.x from sources with fix for #1015" very carefully and all installed properly system freeze when I try to execute even simple crossover setup. I don't know why.

You do realise that you have to restart pulseaudio after building and installing the 13.99 fixes?

And few weeks ago i tried a fresh ubuntu 21.04 install in a vm to see if pulseaudio 13.99 problems went away and they did. so it might be feasible for you to try 21.04...

You do realise that you have to restart pulseaudio after building and installing the 13.99 fixes?

And few weeks ago i tried a fresh ubuntu 21.04 install in a vm to see if pulseaudio 13.99 problems went away and they did. so it might be feasible for you to try 21.04...
Does rebooting system restarts pulseaudio after installing fixes? I would assume so but just to make sure

Just release a small bugfix/feature release, here's the changelog:

Code:
pulseaudio-crossover-rack (1.58) stable; urgency=medium
  *  bugfix:
     - fixed dialog that asks for unsaved file at main window close time
  * features:
     - set sink volumes to zero when (re)inserting modules
     - prevent insertion when there are unconnected objects
 -- Jürgen Herrmann <t-5@t-5.eu>  Mon, 31 Jan 2022 01:33:04 +0200

here's another one:

Code:
pulseaudio-crossover-rack (1.59) stable; urgency=medium
  *  bugfix:
     - added set-default-sink statement to default.pa, needed by newer
       pulseaudio versions (>= 13.99 afaik)
 -- Jürgen Herrmann <t-5@t-5.eu>  Mon, 31 Jan 2022 02:19:30 +0200

Explanation:
newer pulseaudio versions need this statement in the user's default.pa file to make persisting the crossover settings work again. It was broken since 13.99 and later and I never thought that there would be such an easy fix for that. Nobody complained that it was broken either, so I never looked into it up to today ;)

And yet another one:

Code:
pulseaudio-crossover-rack (1.60) stable; urgency=medium
  *  bugfix:
     - set sink volumes to 0 in appropriate places while (re)inserting
       modules to prevent loud glitches while playing music.
 -- Jürgen Herrmann <t-5@t-5.eu>  Di, 01 Feb 2022 22:21:38 +0200

Explanation:
I was getting some short but loud music when forcefully reinserting modules via the "Pulseaudio > Insert modules" menu while a crossover was already loaded AND music was playing already. Also bothered me for quite some time but today i chose to fix it for good.

It's never actually resulted in a damaged driver, just a horrible scare. Either way, no need for you to apologize. The software of great and I'm looking forward to the new stuff your working on.

On another note, I installed the new 64bit version of RaspberrY Pi Bullseye. It's so much easier getting a crossover rig set up in Bullseye than in the past... 7.1 HDMI is detected out the box with no fuss. Paxor just works. No need to run the pulseaudio fix.