Question about connecting power capacitor(s) to a car amp.

** The Backstory **

Before I can get to my questions, I have to give you some back story first.

Many years ago, I used to attend the yearly HAM Fest in my area. Every year there were hundreds of people selling literally thousands of nearly identical capacitors. Each capacitor was the size of a Tall Boy can of beer. The going price for these capacitors (from any vendor) was $1.

I've always assumed the capacitors originally came from the phone or power company. Probably because 1) there were so many of them, 2) there were so many people selling them, and 3) they were all the same size, shape, and being sold for (or, basically being giving away for) the price of $1.

Other than the size, shape and cost of these capacitors, the only other identifying information I remember was the number 470. I can’t tell you if that was the rated Voltage, the number u-Farads, or the number of corn flakes in a box of Wheaties.

Years later - when car stereo power capacitors hit the market costing multi $100’s a piece – I started to form a thought...

** Assumptions **

For the purposes of this discussion assume there's a car amp involved, and the car amp in question is 1000 Watts.

Also, let’s assume that the value of 470 was referring to the cap's maximum voltage rating of 470V (which I think was the case).

And finally, remember, I don’t know the actual value of the capacitance, so feel free to use a value you think fits..

** The Questions **

Question 1: With a rating of 470v, could these caps be repurposed to supply base power for the 1000w if they were conventionally connected between the car battery and the power amp supply voltage input?

Question 2: Assuming the car amp is 1000w and has a reasonably realistic rail voltage for the CMOS output stage of, say 200v (feel free to substitute a better value here as well). Could the caps described above be repurposed to supply oomph to the amp if they were wired directly between the power rail and ground?

Question3: In question 2, how much would having a second 200V plus DC power supply connected directly to the power rail help the sound?

Thanks for reading all this !!

Last edited: