Rare Rek_O-Kut B-16H with cab Resto

I got ahold of Abe but he is so busy with working his regular job that he was at least 2 months out. I used a guy I've used before so it should all work out. Plus, his price was twice as high as everybody else. I tried to get a local guy (Tim at Turntable Basics here in Minneapolis) but he never returned my email.

Reactions: 1 user
Air brushed the tonearm and cleared it. Its satin black. I set it on the table to see how it will look. I think it will pass. Looks way better than how it looked when I pulled her out of hiding. I got the new Pickering XSV5000 cart too.

table arm2.jpg
Table arm1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I have wired the arm and finished putting it together so the turn table portion is about done. It turned out nice and when I sell it soon, the new owner will have a nice 70 year old Rek-O-Kut B-16H TT which should be good for another 50 years. I just have to decide on the cart I'm going to use and level everything and set the arm height after it get's perched back on the C-7B cabinet. I would have loved to put a second arm on the table but I'm not brave enough to drill into this rare TT. Let me know what you think. I'll be taking bids on it soon.

tt (2672 x 2004).jpg

Last edited:
I started working on the C-7B cabinet last weekend and I had to get rid of the old flaking paint. Haven't picked out a paint color yet but satin black outside and a real light gray for the inside. I want the cab inside to be brighter and maybe a battery powered light so we can see things. Here are some pics of the process with disassembly. I hate winter, it gets too dirty sanding in the garage and I can't have a door open to get the dust out. I had gray sanding dust in my ears, nose and eyes even with protection.

Cab9 (2672 x 2004).jpg
Cab1 (2672 x 2004).jpg
Cab6 (2672 x 2004).jpg
Cab5 (2672 x 2004).jpg

OK, Here is the kicker. I was going to go for the satin black/satin charcoal saint on the cabinet until I got through the original paint. It was so pretty that I think I will satin CLEAR it instead. The cab looks killer under the finish. If the next owner want's to return it to Industrial Gray, fine but I can't cover this beautiful 70 year old grain. The next post will show the beauty.

front (2672 x 2004).jpg
Cab13 (2672 x 2004).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
OK, here is the money shot. I didn't know what species it is but Joe at Joewoodworke says it's red gum and after looking around, I have to agree with the veneer expert. The new owner will be proud to display this piece.

So, satin Clear outside, light gray inside.

Cab12 (2004 x 2672).jpg

Nearing completion, just a few more hours of work and then it will get posted for sale. I hit the side with 320 grit and gave it a quick shot of satin clear to see what it will look like. I also test fitted the TT to the cab. not sure I like the clear on the inside of the doors but the rest of the interior is Sherwin Williams Lazy Gray.

Rek and Crown.jpg
side.jpg
side 2.jpg
Near done..jpg

Reactions: 1 users