• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ready-to-Run (RTR) SSR DC Speaker Protection and Delay GB

Hi, just to make sure this old brain of mine is working (or not) will this work with the original boards. I think it is what you have described in your reply to me. Also, would it hurt to use a smaller pF cap - say 22pF for even quicker shut down?
Thanks Keith

Attachments

• Board.jpg
    Board.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 244
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
22pF is an RF filter cap! It won’t smooth 120Hz rectifier bridge ripple much.

The SSRs need about 20mA and you can do the math to see how long a 10uF or 22uF cap charged with the secondaries will provide at least 18vdc. Below that, and circa 5vdc or so, the SSR shuts down. We ran simulations and found that about 22uF gives enough ripple smoothing and shuts down quickly. Try 10uF or 4.7uF and see if it works. If it’s too low you might hear the 120Hz modulation in the SSR.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes. The DC fault is independent of what you are using to power it. The DC is detected by an optoisolator. It’s isolated from the supply voltage. The supply voltage using the small 22uF cap will shut the SSR off in about 100milli seconds.

You only need about 2mA for LED. 20mA will fry it.

So for say 50v supply, use circa 22k to 25k resistor.

Last edited:
Hi,

The spec for this Halo LED incorporated in a switch is 12v at 19 ma. Just checked the current, and it does draw exactly 19ma. So are you saying then that I could use a separate dc power supply independent from the amp supply and the boards will function as normal. Please bear in mind that I am talking about the first version of the boards and not the latest one that you are currently offering.

Last edited:
Hi X, just a quick question for you on the first generation SSR boards. I am going to use 2 of them in a Stasis build with +/- 40VDC rails - I assume that the +40VDC / 0V from the amp rail is OK to feed the SSR board? Also what is the maximum DC supply voltage the SSR has been designed for, out of interest?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Correction. The DC supply for Gen1 and Gen2 is limited by the max voltage the on board regulator can handle. That’s got a 150v rating. The MOSFETs for the SSR are rated 100v for Gen 1 and 150v for gen 2.

Running at 150v supply may not be the wisest thing as it draws 20mA x 150v is 3W. That little regulator will be smoking hot. Most amps capable of 150vpp will have rails in the +/-75 to 80v range. And at 80v rails that is 1.6W dissipation. Still a lot but it won’t melt. So really you should not use more the 80v dc. Sorry for the wrong info earlier.

Hi again X, have you got a simple block diagram / wiring diagram for the new Gen 2 SSR pcb as it is to be wired into an amp. I notice one change from the original SSR is that the loudspeaker GND connection now goes to the board - where it didn't in the first version.

I have not found a diagram in the thread, but may have missed it, thanks.