• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Søren - nice looking board, that 1941.

1) which XMOS chip are you using?

2) will the output buffer board be compatible with DAM1121?

3) does the serial header allow bypassing your onboard ST uC so as to allow use of owner uC/display/IR//rot enc?

You can take the Fifth on the below....:D

1) Now that the 1941/1921 are on the homestretch and summer is winding down will we see the updated 1121 firmware anytime soon?

2) In your opinion, does the linear-powered board sound better than the SMPS-powered board?

I did a PCB for SMPS power for the 1121 to compare to linear - I’ll tell you my opinion if you share yours.....:D :D

Søren - nice looking board, that 1941.

1) which XMOS chip are you using?

Same as my other boards with USB interface, the XS1-U6A. The boards come with support for my Thesycon sourced driver set.

2) will the output buffer board be compatible with DAM1121?

There is no need for any compatibility, the raw dam1121 and dam1941 outputs are just a voltage source, any buffer can be used.

I am considering doing one or more output buffer boards fitting the mechanics, maybe it's time to play with Tubes, have a bunch of E88CC somewhere on my desk....

3) does the serial header allow bypassing your onboard ST uC so as to allow use of owner uC/display/IR//rot enc?

The dam1941 will support the usual commands over the serial port, although it's really designed to use a interface board with LED's, an encoder and switches, no programming required....

You can take the Fifth on the below....:D

1) Now that the 1941/1921 are on the homestretch and summer is winding down will we see the updated 1121 firmware anytime soon?

On my list, the problem with the dam1121 is that it have a different clocking scheme than all other boards, to support synced multiple boards.... And the clock needs to be doubled to support the 4K filters....

2) In your opinion, does the linear-powered board sound better than the SMPS-powered board?

I did a PCB for SMPS power for the 1121 to compare to linear - I’ll tell you my opinion if you share yours.....:D :D

It's not a question about linear or switch mode, it's a question about the implementation.... I'm very happy with the switcher in the dac1421 and dac1541.

The reason for doing a linear supply now is that it's much more DIY friendly. I will still use switchers when I do a next gen complete DAC line sometime in the future.

Thanks for the response, Søren.

Can’t say I heard any problems with the switchers either. Was a bit of an ‘What’s all the fuss about?’ experience. Switched back and forth (no pun intended :)) between the linear and switchers for weeks at a time and didn’t end up with a preference. Linears were the LT-based DIYINHK units. Switchers were Recom.

Hi folks,

Recently I did some experiments to remove the 2 Hz IIR filter from the filter list. The improvement in sound quality is bigger than I would have thought. Removing the filter helps dynamics, clarity/detailing and stereo placement (though also the sound becomes somewhat more brighter & analytical). I see no reason for this filter. This improvement was reported earlier in this thread (where a nice analogy with restored paintings was made). I would advise to try it out for yourself.

Just remove the following part from the filter txt and re-generate the skr with MKROM:

dam1021,352800,8,29,5,1
29 DC Blocking IIR, 352.8 Ksps, 2 Hz HP 1st order

dam1021,384000,8,29,5,1
29 DC Blocking IIR, 384 Ksps, 2 Hz HP 1st order

Fedde

Recently updated my v3 DAM1021 board from 1.06 to 1.19,
and immediately noticed (at least on 2 default filters, at least on normal/minimal)
some vinyl like pop noise, quiet frequently (in 1-10 sec occurrence).

I have not heard these before, nor any other issue (beside volume 'overturn').

Is this a known issue?

Yes. Updated will come....

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Recently updated my v3 DAM1021 board from 1.06 to 1.19,
and immediately noticed (at least on 2 default filters, at least on normal/minimal)
some vinyl like pop noise, quiet frequently (in 1-10 sec occurrence).

I have not heard these before, nor any other issue (beside volume 'overturn').

Is this a known issue?

The pops, are they continuous or just for some time say during beginning of playing new song or after power on etc?

How do you connect your board and what feds the signal? How long cables?

//

The pops, are they continuous or just for some time say during beginning of playing new song or after power on etc?

How do you connect your board and what feds the signal? How long cables?

//

Continuously, on random side, random time (1-10sec).

I don't think hardware config affect this, as previously worked for more than a year with FW 1.06.
(just wanted to update...before play more with filters)

Path to DAC:
Roon/DietPi/RaspberryPi3/i2s

Through "Nordmuss Input and switch board".

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks! I hope that Sören can prove me wrong but I suspect that the "pop" events might be affiliated with clock adjustments and if they are it's worrying that they occur so often. Either it means that your source is very unstable (which I doubt) or the clock adjustment algorithm is not working properly.

I hope for a full disclosure crash and mitigation analysis!

//