• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

Re: Re: whish list :)

mcs said:

I guess you would want that board to be balanced, since you have the RelVol3? I don't think I can fit that many full-size relays on a board the same size as the RelVol3. The Input2 board is a bit bigger - even without the connectors ;)

I bought this one since the idea was to have the balance control not really to run it balanced. So what I would need is just a single end inputs :)

resistors in RelVol3

Hi,
can somebody tell me how to calculate resistors in RelVol3 attenuator? And what is the best impedance for Aleph P1.7 preamp. Attenuator board will be on the output of preamp. Many thanks.

P.S. I know the formula for load resistor, but if I want 1 kohm impedance, what resistors should I use?

Attachments

• untitled copy.jpg
    untitled copy.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 564
Very sorry about my long absence/silence.

I have been working on a rush job for the past couple of weeks, and done nothing but work, sleep and eat. I should have had a couple of months for doing it, but I just received the information needed two weeks before the deadline... :mad:

Everything should be mostly back to normal now, but I still have a lot of unread e-mail waiting for "processing". You should all get replies eventually :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: resistors in RelVol3

felix the cat said:
can somebody tell me how to calculate resistors in RelVol3 attenuator?

You have 2k resistors, right? If you want 1k resistors halve the values, if you want 4k double the values. It's not rocket science ;)

And what is the best impedance for Aleph P1.7 preamp. Attenuator board will be on the output of preamp. Many thanks.

Most people use 1k resistors (2k total input impedance).

P.S. I know the formula for load resistor, but if I want 1 kohm impedance, what resistors should I use?

If you don't want exotic resistors, a complete set is only €8 with shipping :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Motor pot support

Dear Mikkel,

While talking about the control1 board, you say that it does not support a display, hence it's probably best used with a motor pot. Going by your choice of words, does this mean that even the other control boards support motor pots, in case I don't want to use a display?

I'm a bit hung up on motor pots because I feel they are ergonomically easier to use than buttons+displays or rotary encoders, because the eye can see a notch on the control knob and we know the current volume setting at a glance. I'd like to use remote controls to drive motor pots, instead of feeding both remote control input and encoder input into the controller and use a display.

In fact, though I find your range of kits/options simply amazing, I think it would be nice if you supported a pot+ADC as manual volume input in place of a rotary encoder.

thanks for the excellent offerings,
Tarun

Re: Motor pot support

tcpip said:
While talking about the control1 board, you say that it does not support a display, hence it's probably best used with a motor pot. Going by your choice of words, does this mean that even the other control boards support motor pots, in case I don't want to use a display?

The Remote1 and Control1/2 support motorpots. But the Control2 is not meant to be used without a display. The Control2 can support two motorpots used for volume and balance, but the volume setting is of course not shown on the display.

I think it would be nice if you supported a pot+ADC as manual volume input in place of a rotary encoder.

If you're considering the relay attenuators (RelVol1/3), they are easy to control by a pot. Just connect the 6 most significant bits of a parallel output ADC to the parallel input of the relay attenuators.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Re: Motor pot support

mcs said:
The Remote1 and Control1/2 support motorpots. But the Control2 is not meant to be used without a display. The Control2 can support two motorpots used for volume and balance, but the volume setting is of course not shown on the display.
Does this mean that the Control2 accepts signals from the remote handset to control both volume and balance? Nowhere in the description on your Webpages are these things mentioned. I'm now wondering whether it might be a good idea for you to make the manuals of your kits available online so that we guys ask you less of the silly questions. :)

If you're considering the relay attenuators (RelVol1/3), they are easy to control by a pot. Just connect the 6 most significant bits of a parallel output ADC to the parallel input of the relay attenuators.
Oh, is that so?? This means that your relay attenuators accept a 6-bit binary integer over their ribbon cable and set the relays accordingly? This makes all sorts of extensions/customisations so easy. Amazing.

Can you name an inexpensive 8-bit ADC off-hand which I could use for something like this?

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I think the flexibility and capabilities of your boards are not being captured by your Website. I've read through this thread from the beginning and I'm quite amazed at the different ways in which the kits can be put together.

If you find the time, can you add some text against each board, listing in detail what that board can do? Here I don't mean a readable list, but a boring reference-manual-type list of capabilities like:
  • can drive one or two motor pots
  • can read one or two rotary encoders
  • rotary encoder sensitivity can be adjusted at setup time
  • can drive the following attenuator boards: Vol1, Vol2, Vol4
  • can drive up to four of the Vol* boards in parallel for multichannel uses
You get the idea. I think some of us are still grappling with all the flexibility you have built into your boards.

Re: Re: Re: Motor pot support

tcpip said:
Does this mean that the Control2 accepts signals from the remote handset to control both volume and balance?

Yes.

Nowhere in the description on your Webpages are these things mentioned. I'm now wondering whether it might be a good idea for you to make the manuals of your kits available online so that we guys ask you less of the silly questions. :)

A lot of the features aren't mentioned in the manual (or anywhere else). Many have been added at the request of people here, and some are only in special software versions.

Some of the weird combinations are the ideas of users, not me :)

Oh, is that so?? This means that your relay attenuators accept a 6-bit binary integer over their ribbon cable and set the relays accordingly? This makes all sorts of extensions/customisations so easy. Amazing.

Not the normal ribbon cable - that's serial mode only. But there is an extra header on the RelVol1 board for parallel data. On the RelVol3 you can leave out the '595 registers and fit headers for parallel data instead.

Can you name an inexpensive 8-bit ADC off-hand which I could use for something like this?

You need a type with a parallel output and that can do constant conversions. It looks like the National ADC0803LC is an option (I just looked through a catalogue - I haven't read through the whole datasheet).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

tcpip said:
If you find the time, can you add some text against each board, listing in detail what that board can do?

There are some examples listed here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Info-Support/Combinations/

But not a complete list of course ;)

[*] can drive the following attenuator boards: Vol1, Vol2, Vol4

All the control boards can drive all the attenuator boards.

[*] can drive up to four of the Vol* boards in parallel for multichannel uses

No idea what the limit is. A guy is building a system with 6 attenuator boards on a VolControl2 board currently - I guess I'll hear about it, if it doesn't work ;)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Motor pot support

tcpip said:
I looked for a few. TI's TLC0820 and Analog Devices AD7819 ... will they work?

Not sure. The datasheets mention µprocessor interfaces, but not stand-alone operation.

But I guess I could make a small board for this purpose. If a 2051 µcontroller was used, all the attenuator boards (including ChipVol1 and RelVol2 that don't have parallel inputs) could be controlled. The A/D converter for reading the pot could be made in software then...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

mcs said:
There are some examples listed here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Info-Support/Combinations/

But not a complete list of course ;)
I've studied those pages. They are very useful. But they are orthogonal to what I was suggesting. In some sense, those pages are case studies, and what I was suggesting was a very thorough feature list. They two complement each other, they don't replace them.

Amazing boards. I really like your design sense. :)

Tarun

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

While I definitely agree with tcpip's assessment of Mikkel's work, I lack the background to appreciate just how extensive the Dantimax design options are. In fact, I find myself stumped by what most people would find are easy questions. The latest one is this: where are R27 and R28 located on the RelVol3 PCB? I looked at the schematic in the manual and still cannot figure out where the load resistors go, or even if I need them (an Aleph P preamp with 1k impedence resistors at the output needs 1.1k load resistors?).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Scott