repurposing an old home theater system

Hi

I have an old home theater system, a LG HX506DI, which is breaking down for the second time. I'm thinking of giving up on it. I would just like to recover its two speakers and subwoofer to repurpose them in a DIY amplifier system.

I would like to build an amplifier with outputs for two left and right speakers and a subwoofer, and with an optical input, so that I can connect it to my TV. Is this possible?

Thank you

A cheap DAC board, I got one with (I think) a CS4344 DAC chip, with both optical and coax for around £10, some chip amp boards and a power supply (transformer rectifier, capacitors), ask on this forum about the details, stick it an an enclosure of your choice and you're good to go. A word of warning; sometimes when you add up all the costs, including sockets, cables etc, it can mount up. There is a thread on this forum about modifying a cheap secondhand surround reciever, as they are full of usefull parts.

A cheap DAC board, I got one with (I think) a CS4344 DAC chip, with both optical and coax for around £10, some chip amp boards and a power supply (transformer rectifier, capacitors), ask on this forum about the details, stick it an an enclosure of your choice and you're good to go. A word of warning; sometimes when you add up all the costs, including sockets, cables etc, it can mount up. There is a thread on this forum about modifying a cheap secondhand surround reciever, as they are full of usefull parts.
I still want to build my own amplifier. Thank you

I think I'm going to go with an amplifier based on the TDA2030... I even found a ready-to-use kit here. very cheap ..
What do you think of this solution?

I'll add a DAC to this solution... I also want to control the volume with a remote (I'm not sure how I'll do that) and add a VU meter... etc., etc.

Am I on the right track, or am I dreaming?

I've followed the link, and on the circuit board shown, I can't see a 2030 chip, and it's a mono chip, so there should be two, and with heat sinks. . I've actually got two 2030a boards in transit, and they should arrive next week; they are low power - 7 watt (but plenty enough for what I want, I'm currently using a 2822 3 watt amps) and have low distortion, if I remember correctly, around 0.05% .

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm going to go with an amplifier based on the TDA2030... I even found a ready-to-use kit here. very cheap ..
What do you think of this solution?

I'll add a DAC to this solution... I also want to control the volume with a remote (I'm not sure how I'll do that) and add a VU meter... etc., etc.

Am I on the right track, or am I dreaming?
You sure?
Original system uses 2 x 180W amps for satellites, 200W for subwoofer.
You want to substitute them with 3 x 15W amps.

Your choice, but I would use at least 50-70W amps, think TDA 7294 or similar.

System complexity will be same as before, only somewhat larger components.

Ok
Those stereo TDA7294 boards are perfect to power right and left satellites.

You need to add a subwoofer crossover board which gets left and right, sums them into a dingle/mono output and feeds them into a Sub amplifier.

"Just one 7294 amplifier will do but best is a bridged 7294 amplifier so Sub gets higher power.

Something like: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/active-crossover-design-buffer-and-summation.379163/
IMG_20240629_175906.jpg

There MUST be some such premade board at Ali******

or

some dedicated subwoofer power amp which includes the mixer-crossover which had L and R inputs, mixes them.intrrnally and feeds its own amplifier.

If all use 7294 a single power supply can feed all 3.

+/- 40V (even +/-32V or anything in between) is a standard power supply: say 26+26 to 28+28V transformer, a bridge rectifier, 2x 10000uF 50V caps.
Somebody must be offering them or at least the transformer; diodes and caps are generic..

If you love DIY, it is very doable.

Just think of the cabinet and case to house all that..

Reactions: 1 user
So to conclude up to now:
  • the TDA7294 is a good solution for the amplifier.
  • Choosing a pre-made solution on Aliexpress is also a good option for using this chip.

I will try read a bit about the existing solutions to choose one and order it.
Next, I'll move on to choosing the subwoofer crossover board, either DIY or a ready-made solution from Aliexpress.
I also need a DAC board.
After that, I need to add options. I'd like to control the volume with a remote and especially add a VU meter.

I'm making progress ... thank you

Last edited: