SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 sealed cabinet

Also it should be mentioned that nearly if not all full range drivers have a rising response near the 10kHz. This can easily me mitigated by listening off axis by as little as 10 degrees bringing that "hump" down to flat. That is one of the reasons full range drivers are so easily set up and placed in rooms to everyone's preference...

Reactions: 2 users
Also it should be mentioned that nearly if not all full range drivers have a rising response near the 10kHz. This can easily me mitigated by listening off axis by as little as 10 degrees bringing that "hump" down to flat. That is one of the reasons full range drivers are so easily set up and placed in rooms to everyone's preference...
Maop10.2 dont need off axis.

MAOP 10.2 still has a rising response of 15dBs from 6kHz to 12kHz! :D
If that's fine with you, that's ok, but it wouldn't for me.
When listening to the Maop 10.2 I can't hear the volume increase as you claim.
It would be nice to get an explanation for your statement.
Has anyone measured this?
Well you can listen a little off axel. 😉

Last edited:
The point is you can adjust your speakers on or degrees of off axis as you please. In different rooms you will need to use different setups again... Just play with toe in or off axis until it suites your needs!
Yes absolutely.
That is so wisely said.
When I think about it, the Alpair 11MS can be experienced as a bit difficult to listen to in 7000hz - 12000hz.
But Maop 10.2 is not experienced that way at all.
Otherwise, you can see a certain increase in that area on most full range drivers.

Last edited:
When listening to the Maop 10.2 I can't hear the volume increase as you claim.
It would be nice to get an explanation for your statement.
Has anyone measured this?
Well you can listen a little off axel. 😉
Well, I thought a 15dB rise starting at 6kHz was easy to understand, but a picture is worth a thousand words, they say, so here it goes:

MAOP-10.2-sample-data.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Boosted sibilance, definition, pierce, Eek! With my tinnitus I could use some 'definition' (~6 - 9 kHz) nowadays for soundtracks where there's lots of background/underlying soundtracks masking folks speaking in lower voices, but sibilance is what younger folks mostly 'key'/rely on, so I need 'flat' or a broadband dip rather than boost and use EQ.

Reactions: 1 user
The bass is very good. Tight, controlled with the correct timbre and reverb for my taste. It does drop off really quick below 55hz but thats expected in a sealed cabinet. The overall presentation of the soundstage and imaging is what I'm used to and extremely similar to the Jordan Eikona in my main system. With the 8" driver the dynamics are effortless and they fill the room with ease. I have tried a lot of full rangers over the years including most Mark Audio drivers, Jordan Eikonas and Seas FA22RCZ. Although all these drivers are somewhat simialr, for the price of this SB driver it is easily the best Ive heard!
Interesting.
You have found something that suits you.
Different and better.
Cheaper +++
Maybe I will try a pair myself. 😉

Last edited:
Well, I thought a 15dB rise starting at 6kHz was easy to understand, but a picture is worth a thousand words, they say, so here it goes:
It also shows the danger of pictures. ;) It's actually averaging about 8dB - 10dB, give or take a touch for a given TL mode. Owing to the way LMS outputted data, if you look carefully (not easy with small drawings), you'll see that the vertical scaling values aren't aligned to the horizontal graph lines -if they were, it would be a 120dB Y axis scale rather than the 100dB it actually is. It's one of LMS's little presentational foibles if you went with default settings at certain scales. Go figure. :scratch1: They shifted to Clio a few years ago for new units, so no such issues any more, but the MAOP10 dates from before that, so the graphing is still derived from the old setup. Same as with log. based scales -you often end up needing to do a triple-take (never mind a double).

See attached: I've roughly drawn in two of the 10dB vertical divisions between horizontal green lines. This is by hand in Windows Paint for brevity so it's not perfect but ~'near enough' to illustrate.

Attachments

• Example.PNG
    Example.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The point is you can adjust your speakers on or degrees of off axis as you please. In different rooms you will need to use different setups again... Just play with toe in or off axis until it suites your needs!
Great job on these! And your choice of a sealed box was a wise compromise….I would expect the midbass to be really accurate with an f3 of 60hz really easy to integrate to a subwoofer if one needed the deeper extension.

Reactions: 1 users
The bass is very good. Tight, controlled with the correct timbre and reverb for my taste. It does drop off really quick below 55hz but thats expected in a sealed cabinet. The overall presentation of the soundstage and imaging is what I'm used to and extremely similar to the Jordan Eikona in my main system. With the 8" driver the dynamics are effortless and they fill the room with ease. I have tried a lot of full rangers over the years including most Mark Audio drivers, Jordan Eikonas and Seas FA22RCZ. Although all these drivers are somewhat simialr, for the price of this SB driver it is easily the best Ive heard!
In the official SB Acoustics website they provide some technical notes as they refer: "Use this well known series capacitor trick to obtain nice flat frequency response from very small sealed box enclosures." at: https://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Capacitor-Tuning.pdf
They tell that it is a well-known trick that will get you a nice flat response with good low frequency extension in a sealed box that apparently is too small.
I never tried it but it might be a good solution.

Attachments

• Capacitor-Tuning[1].pdf
    32 KB · Views: 202