SB Audience ROSSO 65CDN-T Test & Review

The tested driver is the neodym version. There is also a ferrit magnet version that is about 20% cheaper. It ways about double but is still light compared to classic JBL 4in drives. The measurement graph is almost identical to the neodym version.
Would be very interesting to hear some thoughts about difference in actual sound quality.

SBA told me a while ago that they are developing a CD for their top Nero line. I’m really looking forward to seeing what they can come up with . . .
Agreed, but as for the Purifi CD, I won't hold my breath I'm also not convinced it would be significantly better performing without seeing the measurements and based on their current pricing structure, they'd need to be a lot better. Their current line drivers are quite good, but only worthwhile if you're limited to smaller drivers and enclosure. I know many are, but nor all of us are.

I did buy the SB Audeince Rosso 65 CND Driver. Here are some pictures and measurements that I did outside.

I have not heard them yet but I have searched for a driver that can play down to 800Hz. My waveguide does apparently limit low extension as Troi has measured with his ES-600 horn cut of at 500Hz.

The waveguide I have used in my DIY SP2-JBL speakers is JBL 5006815 1.4 which is JBL use in these speakers:
STX825, SRX812P, SRX815P, VTX-F12 and VTX-F15

The waveguide can be bought here at The Speaker Exchange

Attachments

• Rosso ulkona eri kulmat.png
    Rosso ulkona eri kulmat.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 1-IMG_3642.jpg
    1-IMG_3642.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 2-IMG_3619.jpg
    2-IMG_3619.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 286
  • 3-IMG_3614.jpg
    3-IMG_3614.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 301
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 460
I wasn't aware that JBL makes this PT waveguide in 1.4" also. I own the 1.5" version of it.
So do you have a #number so that I can compare? I thought that the JBL 5006815 has a 1.4 trout.

But the WTX-F15 and WTX -F12 use the 2430K D2 Dual diaphragm driver that has a 1.5" exit driver.
STX825 use the 2453H-SL that has a 1.5" exite.
The SB Audience Rosso 65CDN-T has a 1.4" exit and I can now see that maybe it is 0.1" smaller than the waveguides trout.

So it seems that the trout of the JBL 5006815 waveguide is 1.5".

But it is confusing that The Speaker Exchange say --> Set up for 4 or 2 bolt pattern. 1”-1.3” throat

I had a look at mine and yes, it says 5006815. I have some 1.5" 2430 drivers mounted to them and they fit perfectly. Because it looks like a perfect fit on your photography I thought there must be a 1.4" version as well. Sorry for the confusion !
If there is a too large step it might be a good thing to make a simple conical adapter from a piece of wood. Even if this is not perfect it should still be better than a step. OTOH a step from narrow to wide is still better than vice versa.

Regards

Charles

Edit: Your FR measurements look very nice, so I have my doubts whether an adapter would give much improvement at all.

I have earlier used 5006815 waveguides with JBL 2408H-2 driver that has a 1" exit.

I did narrow the trout using black hobby clay. It was easy to apply and see the measurement below how well it did work.

I don't think there is much value in using clay to fit a 1.4" driver to a 1.5" trout. There are many other problems to solve as the measurements look great with no EQ needed.

My goal with these speakers is to have a workhorse to learn how to measure and design FIR XQ and EQ filters. The style is classic JBL monitors so there are some compromises regarding diffraction, driver placements etc.
The mid 10" drivers are JBL 2123 that I found as new unused. The 15" is 2235 that I have recon with massring. The box is closed so with room gain I reach down to 20Hz. I did therefore sell my subs that did not add anything to the table.

Attachments

• 2408 ei ja muutettu kurkku mittaus.jpg
    2408 ei ja muutettu kurkku mittaus.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very Nice test and promising equipment.

Ferrite version does not show same exit angle, I wonder if it is true or not.

#75 version has a smaller angle.

Is Rosso or bianco better in their range ?

Wonder if beyma cp755nd is worth the extra money.

It seems that now we can find non harsh titanium domes, maybe thanks to research and polymer surround...