SEAS U22REX/P-SL measurements

Hmmm, what to say. The measurements speak for themselves. This 8" looks and measure really good. I plan it for the woofer in 3way, though I am really tempted to try 2way with WG first.
I was really curious to see how it performs so I did just quick set of indoor measurements.

Attachments

• 20240303_134617.jpg
    20240303_134617.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 290
  • U22 H 0-90 smoothing.png
    U22 H 0-90 smoothing.png
    95 KB · Views: 289
  • U22 H 0-90 gating.png
    U22 H 0-90 gating.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 306
  • U22 dist 30cm.png
    U22 dist 30cm.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 312
  • U22 dist 10cm.png
    U22 dist 10cm.png
    59 KB · Views: 283
  • 20240305_170905.jpg
    20240305_170905.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 20240305_170859.jpg
    20240305_170859.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Nice FR rolloff, seems to be great choice as a midwoofer! Thanks for showing/sharing!
Had these on my list on search for 8" drivers, but sorted them out due to limited nominal xmax in comparison e.g. to a 22W Discovery.
Do you have initial impressions of the driver capabilites, e.g. max. excursion/spl for woofer duty <<1kHz?
Thanks again and best regards
Peter

Last edited:
One driver seems to be capable of ~103dB/1m full space. This is really sufficient for standard european ~30m2 living rooms. I would normally rule out this driver from the list of candidates for the woofer in 3way, but SPL is really sufficient and I am after bass and midrange quality. 22W Discovery looks good as well, I will surely use that driver in the future as well.

1709664893866.png

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for these measurements. Very interesting :) In my list but hesitate between the U16 and the U22. The xmax seems not a lot for a woofer (design as a low midrange ?)
Note in a three way perhaps the seas mu10rb could be a good partner ?
I use the seas mu10rb + 27dxt with a W22NX (800Hz/3.6kHz) and the result is awesome ! Very hard to make a good crossover.
Would like replace the W22 by the U22.
I use the 22W8534 in a two ways and it is tricky to tune and to have something very good to my ears. In a three way it should be a good woofer. The 22W disco can goes low and xmax seems ok.
Test 22W8534
Follow with attention this thread !

Last edited:
jerome69: yes, xmas is 4mm only, it reminds me Audax HM series 8" woofers. This is different kind of the driver, I do not expect the low end authority like from 21W/8555, WF223 etc for example, but I expect better low midrange and midrange clarity.
MU10RB would be likely very good mid if one want to make 3way. Do you have the measurements of MU10RB? I recall seeing something, and I did not like strong "S" shape of FR around 1000Hz.

tktran303: I think dust cap (phase plug actually) is not removable, at least not easily and I am not sure it could be safely fixed back.

As I have suitable prototype cabinets, I will likely try to make 2way with and without WG. Seas T35C002 and Jantzen WG, Satori TW29DN and Jantzen WG....??? Both are suitable and can be run LR2 2000Hz even without WG.

jerome69: yes, xmas is 4mm only, it reminds me Audax HM series 8" woofers. This is different kind of the driver, I do not expect the low end authority like from 21W/8555, WF223 etc for example, but I expect better low midrange and midrange clarity.
MU10RB would be likely very good mid if one want to make 3way. Do you have the measurements of MU10RB? I recall seeing something, and I did not like strong "S" shape of FR around 1000Hz.
I enclose the mu10RB response on a baffle and the final response of the speaker with the crossover, +-1.5dB in the band 300-10KHz.
The rubber resonance at 1500Hz is like the SB MW13P one. The measurement of the MU10RB in not on axis but at tweeter axis.

Attachments

• mag841resp.JPG
    mag841resp.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 124
  • mag841.jpg
    mag841.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128
  • mu10rbresp.jpg
    mu10rbresp.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 129
Overall H2 level below -50dB is actually good. At 700Hz there is some king of resonance, datasheet shows mild impedance bump at that frequency. I will do my impedance measurements later. I am actually surprised by very good distortion measurement and smooth H3-H4-H5 profiles showing no issues, I expected worse. Of course there are speakers with better measurements. this one just looks well balanced for 2way and potentially 3way speaker if high SPL is not priority.

Last edited:
I will retest again soon, in the cabinet with proper port length ~11cm and will add more damping. Initial measurements were taken with the port length 22cm giving too low tuning, and and the rear half of the cabinet was filled with the damping material.
As I have SB26ADC I will put it to the proto cabinets and will try simple 2way, just to get the impressions from both drivers.
2.83V makes little over 90dB/1m for this driver.

Last edited:
jerome69: thank you for the measurements. How did you like MU10 subjectively? I am asking, because I have experience with Scan Speak 10F/8414, and was not entirely happy with the sound. I may give it another try as I still have them, but I would like to know more about MU10.
Subjectively I like a lot the MU10RB, very transparent, very detailled, very neutral sound, a good match with the W22NX. The sound is transparent to my ears. The MU10RB does the job well. My fear was a mismatch with the W22 which is a beast in term of neutrality and transparency and dynamic. Believe me the W22NX is very hard to marry because of its transparency. I have a very good holographic, precise sound in the space nearly as good as my open baffle in term of stereo image. This is why I would like to test a larger woven polypropylene cone :)
I find some 4" are difficult to work with, I can't explain why. The tuning of the crossover was a little hard, my first attempt was not very conclusive. My goal was to keep the filtered response of the MU10RB as natural as possible, keep the filtered curve as similar as the original curve, if you observe the curve of the speaker you find all imperfections of the curve of the non filtered MU10RB. The harder work was on the tweeter, with two corrections on the response curve but an other story. The crossover of the speaker is not perfect but the flaws are minimized.
About the 10F8414, perhaps it was be a path to explore, I notice with my 22W8534 discovery in a two ways, the crossover was tricky because I have a forward projection of the sound, I don't know if it is the cone material or the large diameter and the beaming of the cone. I also suppose you have a cross effect of the passive crossover on the cone, I tried to suppress the resonance of the cone (4kHz) with a RLC but the sound was not good at all, I left the the response as is with the resonance peak and all things sounded OK to my ears. Manage to fluently the marriage of drivers can be complicated.
Hope I have been clear on my explanations based on my observations about cone behavior. Perhaps the subject is the linearity of the speaker phase but i didn't explore enough this parameter to confirm that.
You should give an other chance to the 10F8414, more difficult is the challenge, more the satisfaction is high :)

2.83 volts is plenty of drive level for an appropriate test. Increasing it will not tell you "what gives." :)

This is a good driver and the primary driver in the acclaimed LX521 system.

Dave.
Yes…it’s a good woofer for a 3 way or a midbass, but not for a 2way crossed so high directly to a dome IMO.…..there’s better choices for that.……1st would be not to do it at all.

Hmm I see it otherwise. Anyway, doing 2way with this driver is just side project, to get the impression of the driver, as I have proto cabs available. 3way cabs will arrive much later. Listening test will tell me more. Based on the available data, considering 700Hz H2 peak is basically the only trouble, I see 2way quite feasible.

You say there are better choices. There are already many topics on 8+1 (WG) and suitable 8" drivers. In my view, there are just few choices and even for them I see the limitations.

Reactions: 1 users
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Yes…it’s a good woofer for a 3 way or a midbass, but not for a 2way crossed so high directly to a dome IMO.…..there’s better choices for that.……1st would be not to do it at all.
Well, if I'm going to build a two-way system with a normal tweeter, and not necessarily use subwoofer, I'm going to use an 8 inch driver.
I'll sacrifice the polar response issues in the crossover range for the extra low frequency performance. That's a trade-off worth doing, in my opinion.

Dave.

Hmm I see it otherwise. Anyway, doing 2way with this driver is just side project, to get the impression of the driver, as I have proto cabs available. 3way cabs will arrive much later. Listening test will tell me more. Based on the available data, considering 700Hz H2 peak is basically the only trouble, I see 2way quite feasible.

You say there are better choices. There are already many topics on 8+1 (WG) and suitable 8" drivers. In my view, there are just few choices and even for them I see the limitations.
I try and set a rule for myself..... a 3 octave passband for a driver when possible, a 4 octave passband per driver is 'ok' with careful selection and anything more is a compromise on something to a significant degree..........for the cookie cutter 6"/1" 2 way, that's always been the issue........power handling and low frequency extension.......that and the phase discontinuity right in the most critical range of hearing.

And before anyone jumps down my throat on this, this is nothing new with the 2 way...........i'm a recording engineer by trade a engineers love this platform as everything sounds 'good'....through them.....but the downside is nothing sounds 'great' through them......only a narrow passband 3 or 4 way will tell you if you've engineered something really great..........consider the 2 way the french fry on the audiophile menu......who doesn't like a french fry? lol