Should I moisten my Speaker Cones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just thinking to myself (Been told this is dangerous) and thought that seeing its exceptionally hot here where I am, should I put a small spray of water onto the cone once before summer (once a year tops) on the speakers to stop them from drying out and breaking up/cracking later on and keep them "supple"? Or will they retain moisture by themselves?

Or would I be doing damage? Will they start to degrade if exposed to too much moisture?

These are the "high density fiber banana pulp" cones by the way.

How much preservative do they put in the Banana peel cones?

The drivers are Fostex FE126En

They are in an air conditioned room during the day, and stay exposed to outside temps overnight, there is at least a 20 degree shift in temperature each day and not that much Humidity in the air most of the time.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I think that's a bad idea. You could do the Enable "pre-treat", basically a couple of thinned coats of Modge Podge (puzzlecoat). That will protect the cones from humidity extremes.

jeff

Thanks for that, I wanted to see if I can avoid the cone breakup that I see in 50 year old drivers as a result of age due to the lack of (I assume) moisture in the paper cone...

I used to have a few drivers that are like that, a pair of them were very nice sounding whizzer-cone Alnico drivers. Their cones just ripped one day while operating. They became very fragile, the suspension was however still intact.

I'm thinking in terms of preserving books here, books need just the right amount of moisture to prevent them from drying out or growing mould.

I'm looking into this Paverpol/Puzzlecoat.

Last edited:
Hi,

Pulp cones are hydroscopic and adapt to the humidity.

Treating the cone at the front won't change much long
term. You can't seal the surround or protect the back.

Air conditioning by definition increases humidity, dropping
temperatures at night by definition increases humidity.

Dried out paper cones is a new one on me, nevermind
modern pulp cones are an advanced composite with
unknown stabilisers regarding the moisture content.

Leave them well alone is my opinion, though a spray
of water mist once a year will have no effect compared
to the average effect of when its raining all year round.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Humidity is the % of maximum % water vapour the air can hold.

The vapour content air can hold drops with temperature. Hence
your cold beer can gets covered with water droplets, humidity
at the beer can surface is > 100%, hence precipitation.

Heating air reduces its humidity, cooling it increases it.

Cold and dry places with heating have the lowest humidity.

I understand in hot places with high humidity, aircon produces
copious quantities of water in the aircon unit,* but still pumps
out cool air with near 100% humidity to mix with warm air.

rgds, sreten.

* Anyone following the physics will understand aircon in hot
humid places is much more energy expensive than hot and dry.

Last edited:
A clarification about humidity. There are two measures of humidity relevant here.

The absolute humidity is the water content of the air.
The relative humidity is a percentage of the maximum humidity at a particular temperature.

If air is heated, the absolute humidity will not change (still the same amount of moisture in the air) but the relative humidity will decrease because the maximum water vapor level the air can hold increases with temperature.

If air is cooled the absolute humidity will not change but the relative humidity will increase. As the air is further cooled the relative humidity eventually reaches 100 percent. At this point water vapor will start to condense as drops of liquid. When this point is reached the absolute humidity will fall because the water content of the air is decreasing.

This means that heating air will not change the amount of moisture in the air. Cooling moist air will also not change the amount of moisture until the air has cooled to the point where the relative humidity has reached 100 percent.

So an aircon causing condensation will increase the relative humidity but decrease the absolute humidity making the air less moist

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given that 2 - 3 degree C air can't really hold a lot of moisture it is not hard to understand that air conditioning (at least central air) both cools and dehumidifies. (robotc explains it well) My parents live in coastal South Carolina where humidity is generally 100% at temperatures of > 40 C in the summer, their house on the other hand is air conditioned to a temperature of 21 - 22 C and a humidity of < 60%..

My portable units remove a fair amount of moisture, air outlet temps are under 5 C generally, unless the unit is overwhelmed. (And I yes I have measured it)

Hi,

Well its pedants time. TBH I can't be bothered. If you want
to think aircon dehumidifies then all power to your elbow
but the reality is as I described it, and going from relative
humidity to absolute humidity doesn't help, its pedantic.

If you cant work out why your parents house ends up about
60% then I can't help you, all the clues are already there.

Humidity in % is always relative and the only thing quoted.
Talking about humidity as absolute vapour content is nonsense.

rgds, sreten.

Air Conditioning GREATLY reduces both absolute and relative humidity. The air that blows from your vents has been nearly brought to freezing. As it warms up by mixing with the air in your house, it doesn't gain any more moisture. The relative humidity plummets. Edit: this is only in the short term. Houses let quite a lot of air in and out. The net result may be different. It's usually a slightly lower relative humidity in an air conditioned building than outside.

Cellulose fibers like the cone you have should be kept as dry as possible to maintain their life, so this is a good thing. Moisture doesn't make them more supple. It makes them heavier and more prone to fibers tearing. The cone very likely vas an additive to keep moisture out.

Unless you bought special waterproof speakers: moisture plus speakers is a terrible combination.

Last edited:
Hello streten,

My point is that this graph curves upward. I leave it up to you to figure out what that means.
volume-air-moisture-holding-capacity-imperial.png

Edit: Wait, this graph proves me wrong! I recend my arguments. My apologies.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cold temps whether in the refrigerated coils of Hvac system or cold ambient that is below dew point most certainly decreases humidity. That is why humidifiers are used on Hvac systems in the winter otherwise we get dry skin in the winter.

So rather than spraying cones, install a humidifier for the home in your Hvac system. It will help your books and furniture too.

Last edited:
Hello streten,

My point is that this graph curves upward. I leave it up to you to figure out what that means.
volume-air-moisture-holding-capacity-imperial.png

Edit: Wait, this graph proves me wrong! I recend my arguments. My apologies.

This graph shows the maximum water vapor capacity of air vs temperature ie the actual humidity value at 100 percent relative humidity.

For example at 60F 100 % relative humidity is 0.8lb water per 1000cu.ft. of air.

If air had relative humidity of 50% at 60F the air would hold 0.4lb of water per 100cu ft.

If the 50% relative humidity air at 60F was cooled to 40F where the maximum level of water in air is 0.4lb per 1000cu.ft, the relative humidity level would now be 100% but the air still contains 0.4lb water per 1000 cu.ft.
ie the relative humidity has doubled but the amount of water in the air has not changed.

If the air was cooled to 35F where the 100% relative humidity level is about 0.35lb of water per 1000cu ft then the air must lose 0.05 kg of water per 1000cuft (condensation), but the relative humidity is still 100% at the lower temperature,

Now there is less water in the air than at 60F but the percentage humidity is higher that at 60F

Cooling moist air to a temperature below the point where the relative humidity reaches 100% will always cause condensation

When air is cooled in an air con evaporator, the relative humidity gets beyond 100% and water condenses out onto the coils. If you then warm the air up again to the same temperature as it went in, the relative humidity is decreased, because water was removed.

This is indeed what happens in an air conditioning system. The air blows out of the evaporator nice and cold (and relatively humid) but it warms up as it removes heat from the house. If you imagine that it is circulating the same air inside a room, you can see that the air that comes out must end up at the same temperature as the stuff that goes in, because it is the same air.

It also explains how in modern cars the air con can be used for demisting the windscreen. I believe they pass the output of the AC evaporator through the heater, so it is warm and dry.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.