Show your aperiodic speakers

Dagger is a poor man’s midTL, but a half-wave line. It needs to be 2x as long as a quarter-wave midTL, but it is an ingenious shape for a sealed enclosure.

The midTL you are interested in is in the A12pw set. Given what you get when you buy a planset, it could be detailed specifically to suit your needs.

dabe
By the way, knowing my mission statement, would you advise the midtl configuration, or do you think a sealed dagger enclosure would be more suitable with the 7MS? With bass extension being basically no concern to me, all I'm worried about here is sonic character

I have a pair of JBL 4” speakers that had been in an oem car door in somewhat of an OB arrangement.
I am using them full range in the lower part of a dashboard. Have placed about 2” of open cell foam behind, closely fitted, to both block the back wave, and provide some loading. That’s a fairly easy way to tune them if needed.

I have a set of Dynaudio DIY aperiodic monitors from 1996 purchased from Madisound, model MDY-4. 28mm soft dome tweeter (D28/2) and 17cm woofer (17W75EXT) which has a high Qts around 0.8. The cabinet baffle is sloped for time alignment. 3rd order filter on tweeter and 1st order for woofer. I really like them (held on to them for all this time). I feel the bass is very quick and punchy, without boominess. They don't go very low (around 48 Hz) but they have beautiful midrange and great imaging/soundstage. I think aperiodic designs have some advantages over either AS or BR, but probably are difficult to model or tune. I wonder why we don't see more of them...

My Supravox 165-2000 based speakers from a few years ago, in an aperiodic cabinet. I think the volume was around 120 Litres from memory but with an open back, I then experimented with various types of stuffing (Pillows, blankets etc) as well as some thick sheets of foam (different thicknesses and weight) and got the following result...

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/supravox-165-2000.326720/

Was a really good fun project, experimenting with different fillings to get a usable in-room bass response from the high Qts drivers.

Supravox 165-2000 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Supravox 165-2000 (2-A2 in cabinet - 2x Layer 36mm foam & Pillow) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite speakers (Dahlquist DQ 16) are actually semi-aperiodic. They have a port that would make them appear otherwise, however there is a thick foam divider panel bonded into the cabinets which creates the primary chamber.

Attachments

• BDE8C2C9-344C-4813-A727-D235AE96B07A.jpeg
    BDE8C2C9-344C-4813-A727-D235AE96B07A.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 1 user