Smoothest Fullrange driver through the sibilance range.

While we are talking about drivers and how they sound over the sibilant range, let me link you to my past work for comparison. Over several years I designed and built several mass loaded transmission line speakers with small full range drivers.

I completed designs that use Mark Audio Alpair 6 and 10 versions plus the Jordan JX92S. The attached link details my Alpair 6 design and it is a sweet sounding small tower speaker but also shows a photo of the three speakers. All of these speakers use metallic drivers and have no sibilance to my ears.

Small MLTL for Mark Audio Alpair 6 Drivers

In fact this afternoon I connected the Alpair 6 MLTLs for some easy listening and they are still impressive. The Jordan JX92S with a ribbon tweeter MLTLs are still my daily TV listening speakers.

I remember you demo'd them (the Jordans) in KY way back 10 years or so ago... they did sound good, within the design constraints of power in a large room

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can. It is harder to be as consistent because it is hard to see the spots, particularily as the get drier.. Bud always used clear. I try to use it sparingly.

Some schemes still given reasonable contrast on application, but the spots are close to the cone colour once set, ie orange on Mark Audio’s copper coloured cones (they call it gold, its not), grey on the siler cones, and blue on the blue paper cones.

dave

Sibilance is causes by resonances in the upper treble which can be measured by looking at various acoustical measurements. Mainly it will show up in a cumulative spectral burst decay but it will also show as anomolies in the off-axis response. A great website to how much one driver varies from one to another is the rutcho website. If you scan through the various drivers you can see the spectral waterfall plots that shows resonance (stored energy).
Loudspeaker Raw Driver Measurements

For example if we look at the older Foxtex FE108e∑ it has good decay in the upper treble.
Fostex FE-108 Sigma Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

However if you look at a larger driver such as the Fostex FP-203 you'll see an unacceptable resonance at 10kHz
Fostex FP-203 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

I should note that all of these fullrange drivers exhibit pretty average burst decay results. I've attached a burst decay in ARTA that would be considered by most to be very good.

Attachments

• FE108EZ.JPG
    FE108EZ.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 566
  • FP-203.JPG
    FP-203.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 579
  • ES-800 Biradial Horn RCF ND350.JPG
    ES-800 Biradial Horn RCF ND350.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 566
Just now reading this and noticed your response plots [thanks!] highlighting the 'bleeding edge' of sibilance that the pioneer's more accurately called 'pierce', whereas the sibilance that ~defines how much sibilance is acceptable/wanted is centered around 7 kHz in the ~ 6-10 kHz 'definition' BW where many 'FR' drivers have some obvious peaking and makes my teeth hurt, though have noticed over time that many here want/need it apparently for good articulation. Guess my ~life long tinnitus is good for something. :xeye:

Anyway, I'm way out of date as to which all drivers are smooth up top, but of the early CSS/MA, Fostex or similar all were too sibilant for me with the Jordan JX92S? smooth as a baby's bottom in a MLTL, almost too smooth really, so imagine its replacement is worth an audition if one doesn't have to buy it to try it.

GM