SnubWay Noise Defender

Hi,

Please remember that in Europe, especially in Germany, there must be a CE marking and German operating instructions must be included. Otherwise customs will refuse import.

Or you can find a German distributor who will take care of it for you. The danger I see is that they end up charging you a 100% mark-up. Then the product will be expensive.

Greetings Dirk

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
EU compatible Schuko plug has been identified. We will probably go with gold plated terminals vs copper. But looks like this.

1718119022841.png

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s a combo MOV + GDT. We were only planning on getting CE. All requirements to meet code are followed (Y2 and X2 caps where appropriate) and the case is grounded to the PE GND pin, plus creepage requirements are met. I believe there is a non-replaceable fusible link (large SMT resistor) on the L pin.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are in a metal case so its not a big issue but first, GDT across the AC line is not a good idea- once they flash over they continue to conduct until the power is removed. On MOV's there are fault conditions in power circuits that can cause them to sit and cook until they catch on fire. (Both are issues from experience). The thermal fuse is to disconnect the MOV when it overheats. If the two devices are in series that works but the protection is at a higher voltage. PM me if you want to go deeper into the murk of Surge protection etc.

Reactions: 1 users
GDT ( Gas Discharge Tube) I assume
I am glad we have @1audio on board, someone who understands these issues.
Reputable manufacturers obtain ULc &/or CSA agency approval in order to determine if their design is worthy of a certification.
It's also to cover your a$$ if there is a failure that causes damage?
I have done one ULc cert and it was for a HID lamp ballast for a 1000W HPS lamp (ANSI S52 ) per UL1029.
It was a learning experience for someone who has never done a cert before.
Good Luck

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The hybrid GDT/MOV or “IsoMOV” product from Bourns essentially has a GDT and MOV in series so that the discharge in the GDT is self terminated by the MOV. This was exactly how it was designed to be used across L and N of mains input. But thank you to 1audio for pointing this out.
From Bourns datasheet showing equivalent circuit.

IMG_4510.jpeg